• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 966A loaders

mat9245

I have a 966A that is running order that I might be willing to part with if you are interested, I just have it as a spare machine

Alpha

2stagefanWI

If you are into 1/50 scale models Norscot will be releasing a model of this machine very soon

Dont buy this model. As much as i really like the paint, much of the model is poor quality and not worth the money. First off, when you love the loader arms all the way up, the pistons fall out of the sleeves and they are really tough to get back in. Second off, the bucket tilt cylinders are too small and only provide yo with a short range of motion and only allow full tilt (which isnt really tilting it that much) when the arms are fully raised. Third and final, i spent about two hours trying to keep- and later on glue- the bucket tilt assembly into the boom sides... the pins fall out every time you try to tilt the bucket. Its also abnormally small in my opinion- doesnt seem like true 1/50th scale. Thats my two cents, sorry to know on it so much, but the scale model deserved it... its a really poor model. I ended up getting soo frustrated that i went on ebay and bought a 1/50th Ertl Cat 988B model- which is a GREAT MODEL! Oh and also, the lights are tiny plastic pieces that are barely held onto the loader- if youre not careful they will snap off really easily.

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Dont buy this model. As much as i really like the paint, much of the model is poor quality and not worth the money. First off, when you love the loader arms all the way up, the pistons fall out of the sleeves and they are really tough to get back in. Second off, the bucket tilt cylinders are too small and only provide yo with a short range of motion and only allow full tilt (which isnt really tilting it that much) when the arms are fully raised. Third and final, i spent about two hours trying to keep- and later on glue- the bucket tilt assembly into the boom sides... the pins fall out every time you try to tilt the bucket. Its also abnormally small in my opinion- doesnt seem like true 1/50th scale. Thats my two cents, sorry to know on it so much, but the scale model deserved it... its a really poor model. I ended up getting soo frustrated that i went on ebay and bought a 1/50th Ertl Cat 988B model- which is a GREAT MODEL! Oh and also, the lights are tiny plastic pieces that are barely held onto the loader- if youre not careful they will snap off really easily.

I bought 2 of the 966 traxcavators and I love them , I havent had any kind of problems with them , sorry yours had so many problems , mine seem to be just about perfect

2stagefanWI

I bought 2 of the 966 traxcavators and I love them , I havent had any kind of problems with them , sorry yours had so many problems , mine seem to be just about perfect

Maybe mine was just a dud, glad to hear yours are working well :).

daugherty102

Occupation
Equipment operator
that's our 944A with me and grandpa when i was prolly 4? it was our one and only loader for years till he bought a 1975 950. we still have it and it still gets used often but it's not as pretty anymore. due mostly in part to myself running it and backing into stuff. didn't have brakes so it was unavoidable. so no one really cared.

Attachments

• img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,371

Alpha

Is this the same as 966A < If yes...are you selling it...if yes ..how much and where are you at...thanks

Iron Man

1973 cat 980b

Just keeps on ticking....

Attachments

• item_38755_catimage_1.jpg
    item_38755_catimage_1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,148
  • item_38755_catimage_2.jpg
    item_38755_catimage_2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,993
Last edited by a moderator:

2stagefanWI

Iron man, that aint no 966A :tong ! Looks like a earlier production 980 maybe an a or b, seems a bit to small to be a 988 and the loader arms definitely make it one of the larger sized loaders, all of the early production cat loaders 966 and lower had a curved boom with different tilt setup. But yet its too old for the first implementation of the z- bar linkage thats used in the 980C. Great loader though, i bet if that thing talked it would have one long story!

Kwabbus

HELP! CATERPILLAR 966A Wheel Loader Sales brochures & Specsheet WANTED!

Who can help me with more background information or [PDF] sales brochures, specsheets and 1:1 pictures from the CATERPILLAR 966A Wheel Loader?

So please help and share all the information you can find in your archives.

Please send me an PM!

Thanks Wouter