• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955L won't run

hot_rod_eddie

I talked to the service manager for a while. Explained I didn't want someone that never worked in these. I got "all associates are trained by CAT for all systems". But he did say he has plenty of old timers that work in these all the time. We will see.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I talked to the service manager for a while. Explained I didn't want someone that never worked in these. I got "all associates are trained by CAT for all systems". But he did say he has plenty of old timers that work in these all the time. We will see.
Well I hope this service manager is right and he sends someone with at the least grey hair!

This sounds like one of those jobs that if anyone of a number of guys here could be there in person it might only take a few minutes to diagnose the problem. It's just that somethings that might jump right out at one in person could take hours of time to type out detailed instructions on what to check only to find out the problem is at the other end of the system!

Good luck with the guy on Monday and be sure to let us know everything he does.

hot_rod_eddie

I put the fixed primer line on today. Seemed like the pump was a little tighter. I had high hopes, but it was 27 degrees and the batteries didn't want to do much. Brought them home to charge. Carrying 70lb batteries up an 80 yard incline is getting old.
I will certainly report back.

hot_rod_eddie

Funny thing (not).
CAT said tech would start earliest at 7:30 but may have to go to shop first. So at 8:30 I called the office and left a message. At 9 the manager called back. Apparently he called me at my work number to let me know tech was coming. However I explicitly told him to call my cell phone. Since I didn't answer he sent tech to another job and had no one else today.
Pretty upset, but rescheduled for tomorrow morning at 7:30. Assured me he would call the correct number in the morning.

sealark37

Occupation
Retired pilot, old equipment mechanic
I would suggest that you contact your Parts & Service Sales Rep, (PSSR), and let him know what happened. You may be the victim of a more pressing job.

Welder Dave

I had a similar experience getting warranty work on my truck. The guy wrote down my cell. number right in front of me to call me when it was complete. He called the home number instead. Told him he called the wrong number when I picked it up. Had to have some more warranty work done and the idiot called the home number again, not once but twice.

Worst was the county calling my old phone number from 12 years previous and saying they left me a message. I called that number and the answering machine was a completely different name. Must have been too lazy to look at their updated files for my new number.

56wrench

I am leaning toward suction side air leak or restricted fitting in bottom of fuel tank. Or, if it is below freezing, ice in the lowest part of the suction/supply line. If a fuel suction line leaks fuel it will also suck air

hot_rod_eddie

Update. CAT came out today. I gave him the entire rundown including no pressure at fuel filter housing. He went straight to injector nozzles. Not the direction I was expecting but he is the expert. After some trouble shooting he says nozzles appear to be clogged. Had nozzles brought out and installed. Did NOT help. More troubleshooting and he can't figure it out. Both of us left frustrated but only one of us is going to get a bill.
My estimate $225 for truck charge, $135/hour * 7 hours, $240 for nozzles.
So $1500 in debt and no closer to getting it running.
I'm not messing with it until after the holidays. My stress level is 100% and I want to enjoy Christmas.
Will report back if it ever gets fixed.

petepilot

Update. CAT came out today. I gave him the entire rundown including no pressure at fuel filter housing. He went straight to injector nozzles. Not the direction I was expecting but he is the expert. After some trouble shooting he says nozzles appear to be clogged. Had nozzles brought out and installed. Did NOT help. More troubleshooting and he can't figure it out. Both of us left frustrated but only one of us is going to get a bill.
My estimate $225 for truck charge, $135/hour * 7 hours, $240 for nozzles.
So $1500 in debt and no closer to getting it running.
I'm not messing with it until after the holidays. My stress level is 100% and I want to enjoy Christmas.
Will report back if it ever gets fixed.
eddie . i`m sure i`m way off base but has anybody checked to see if the pump is actually in the start run position

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
It's dumping fuel pressure / flow off I'd start at primer take output line off hand pump. Pump it do u have steady stream of fuel if so cap and make sure hand primer gets hard. work your way to inj. Pump inlet. Snap a few pictures of fuel system I can't picture what system you have some had a bypass valve that needs 25 psi to open that could be stuck open

Dave Neubert

It has the old fuel system on it it don't have a return to tank. Cat makes no sense the problem is obviously no supply pressure why would they put $1500.00 in injectors in it you can buy these aftermarket for $20.00 each I was afraid you would get someone who don't know old machines

hot_rod_eddie

This system is a scroll with PC. Very simple. I have the book that shows the system.
The guy did seem to know a pretty good amount about the system but he did have to make a couple calls.
It was getting late, the batteries were about dead and he was digging for answers, so I called it off.
The nozzles cost only $60 each, but I estimate the total cost of the service to be $1500
I will have to get back to you guys. I am out of town for Christmas.
Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
check too make sure your rack collar is not stuck in off position ,pull side panel of pump , they may be bypassing , this guy could not get a 955 started the collar was stuck in bypass , after 20 cans of either and burned batteries he walked away and left it there, that was 20 years ago, funny thing, i picked up a 955 20 years ago by just checking the fuel system , was stuck in off position . no fuel too injectors, oh and as far as the cat tech, i had a bad feeling it was going to go that way, didnt get anything accomplished

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
This system is a scroll with PC. Very simple. I have the book that shows the system.
The guy did seem to know a pretty good amount about the system but he did have to make a couple calls.
It was getting late, the batteries were about dead and he was digging for answers, so I called it off.
The nozzles cost only $60 each, but I estimate the total cost of the service to be $1500
I will have to get back to you guys. I am out of town for Christmas.
Thanks for the replies.
I don't know about the nozzels, if they did not fix the problem I would tell him to put the old ones back in and figure out what the real problem is! What's the next step in troubleshooting by replacing parts? Is he going to tell you you need a new injection pump? What's next after that, reman engine?