• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955L - Identification - Australia

Island

She certainly sounds nice.
some wiring, filters oil and ram seals and she will be good for another couple of 10 year.

Is there an online site to check part comparability?
I am starting to think that the motor and machine did not come out of the factory together.
Motor is sorted.
Machine - not yet.
--
The Manual from Jensales is good. quality good. text searchable. as described. certainly happy with it. And it is for the 53H model range.
--
The lift and tilt rams do not seem to match the numbers form the manual, though I will need to check I have the correct number
955K form 53H manual -
Tilt 5J6213 & 5J6214
Lift 5J6342
on machine
tilt 6J9739
lift 6J2685

transmission filter housing

955K from 53H manual
3S8050
on machine
3S8049

Would like to ID the Machine with some surety. Trying to find a part that changes between models. maybe the torque converter?

cheers, Jack

Island

Australian models

It there a record/knowledge of what models were made/available/imported in Australia?
I am interested in the late 60's/70's era.

FWD

According to my info SN 169 was the last 53H series built which was 1969. 168 would be second to last built.
DWF

Island

Thanks. That is what I have found.
The casing # for the torque converter only comes up as a 955K part.
Starting to look like Nige’s sticker suspicions are well founded.

I have found a parts like for 53H, original CAT paper copy, and have bid on it. A couple of days to go yet.
Nothing electronic.

will get back to the machine in the next couple of days and grab all the part numbers I can. See if I can locate a chassis part that is specific to the 955K.
Cheers. Jack.

Island

57J / 85J
From what I can see the 85J 995K change to 955L at SN 4672
did the 57J also switch from 955K to 955L at a certain SN ?
cheers, Jack

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
did the 57J also switch from 955K to 955L at a certain SN ?
I don't think so.

The Japanese 71J, US 85J, & French 64J machines are all listed as both K/L but with no indication of the Serial Number at which the model changed from K to L. The Au-built 57J is only listed as a K.
It could be that Australian track loader production stopped with the last of the 57J-prefix 955K machines. Maybe @FWD who posted above about dating your machine could answer that.?

upload_2021-9-1_13-20-57.png
upload_2021-9-1_13-21-29.png
upload_2021-9-1_13-22-29.png
upload_2021-9-1_13-29-3.png

Island

With D5 track gear, IF this is a 955L as per the decal, it can only be one of the first 955L machines before they switched to D6 track gear.
The 57M (jp)is on the second hand market here, so I am assuming that the 71J (jp) was also imported (from Japan)
Found to other panel with the 955L decal today. Not conclusive by any means.
IF it is a 955L I am now looking parts on a 71J5382-up that differ from the 955K 53H series.
Took a heap of photos today with the Stampings from the rams, hyd pump and main bucket frame member. Once phone charges back up will do some digging.

cheers, Jack

Island

Parts anomalies :-
This is based on the limited SIS I can access
https://avspare.com/caterpillar/head/6j9739/
The head for the lift cylinder comes up as only comparable with a 955K
6J3988
Torque converter cover comes up as only 955K
4S5863
everything else i have found without being able to wash the machine yet seems to be both.

cheers Jack

Bob G

Hi Island
We have a 955 K ? Serial no 57J352.was sold new to Portland cement at Geelong. We are 4 th owner. the last owner bought it to level a block so he build an industrial shed and in doing so stuck pine pallet through the radiator new one was 3 k. This machine had the engine replaced with 3304 di never hooked up oil gauge { nylon line} and as i haven't a book not sure where to hook in . Think it should go on right side of motor in oil gallery. Our machine would have been sold by William Adam in Melbourne Victoria. I am new to forum not sure if I am speaking out of turn .We are having trouble getting info on 57J too.

Reactions: DB2

Island

Thanks Bob/Chrisso,
I have got a 53H Workshop manual from Jensales
The parts book for the 53H I got from an ebay bloke in Brisbane. (near enough to mint)

I have not had time to reference the parts book much yet, but is does look like the engine is from a different machine.
At this stage I am leaning towards the machine being a 955L with a 955K motor.
This seems to fit the narrative so far as it is in that the Father of the guy I purchased it from had a number of these machines and this was the one he kept.

Got a couple of days off now so will get back to the machine as see what I can find.
Roads still too wet to float down here.

cheers Jack

Island

I know that this seems like reviving an old thread......but time moves differently on an island.

Floated the 955 home a day or so back and started cleaning.
Ended up removing the rear counter weights looking for the SN.
It was to the left of center behind the counter weight mounting frame. Faint and covered in crap. No tag, just stamping.

56Wrench and Nige, correct you were.
53H168
The engine and machine match.
Keeps things simple.

Island

Some good, some no as good form the ongoing cleanup.

Right track and gear serviceable.
Left track, not so much. Chain pins worm thru. considering reversing the track to get some life out of it whilst I source a replacement.
Tension spring broken. Still holding some pressure, so will not disturb it for now, thinking flip the track, pump it up and see how it goes for the short term.
2 lift cylinders leak - can order seals now.
1 of the tilt cyl leaks - new seals
3in1 jaw piping fractured - may just replace with a T-piece and hose.
All wiring RS.

Engine starts easy and runs well. Drove on and off the float fairly smoothly.

Will get to the oils next......

Thanks for assistance thus far, now starts the ordering and repair.
On the look out for a D5 chain in Vic if anyone know of a used option.

cheers, Jack

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
53H168
The engine and machine match.
Keeps things simple.
At least now you've removed all doubt.
And also with the machine and engine S/Nos matching it indicates that the machine as it stands is somewhat "genuine" as regards provenance and getting parts shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Last edited: