• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955K No power or brake to right track

fordtrucknut

955k S/N: 61H1479
little history
brakes look like they have a lot of material (someone was in there years ago, loader has been sitting for close to 10 years)
last owner was operating, pushed into a pile of material, went to back out and had no power to the right track. he said there was no pop or sounds made from the machine (the would indicate a broken shaft or something)

Brakes seem to have a lot of material left on them looking down into the assembly,
I tried to power spin with the bucket pushed into the ground and only the left track spins,
I've adjusted brakes and clutches according to the manual, they were pretty much in adjustment, but now when I go to move (a little above idle) and depress the right peddle it will brake for a second then release, but still no power.
I pulled the booster out and the valves moved freely, but I polished them with some 1500-2000 grit for good measure.
i haven't put a gauge on it but the left track works great with plenty of power and machine stops on a dime when left peddle is depressed.

also I tried an experiment, tightened the right brake all the way then tried to move the machine, it held in place UNTIL i lightly depressed the right peddle then the brake would release and machine would move.

Anything else that I should check before I proceed to pull the whole assembly?

thanks in advance.

fordtrucknut

Have you tried draining the oil from the RH side.? Does it have loads of "sparklies" in it.?
No sparkles in the final drive oil.
I got the steering clutches out tonight and the right side shaft going into the final drive just spins, the big gear in the final that you can see from the fill hole spins, so it's something with the hub or the actual sprocket.... my luck is the mating splines are stripped on both the hub and sprocket... going to start pulling the track tomorrow night...

Dave Neubert

That can happen if it was not pressed together you can not tighten the nut tight enough to get a press fit my guess is about 30 ton of force to seat splines you should be able to see the sprocket nut and see if it is rotating with out the sprocket turning

fordtrucknut

Little update:
Got the machine jacked up and track off today. The sprocket is loose, spins without spinning anything else, and you can pull it side to side in and out (imagine a wheel with loose lug nuts).
I've got the track roller frame bolts soaking overnight so I can get that removed next.
BTW: 50/50 mix of ATF and 100% acetone is a wonder mixture for penetrating fluid.

sawmilleng

Ouch! Lets hope there is some life left in the tapered splines- Maybe you can clean them up and press them back together. Depends on how long they were loose and wallowing the taper out!! A new sprocket hub and final drive shaft isn't going to be cheap. Finding something good-used might be in the cards, too.

I guess depends on what you are going to do with the machine--full time work (fix it right!) or farming or personal land clearing, etc-- where a few days down isn't a huge problem!

To fix it either way, you need to find the special tool to press them together. The multi-ton pressures you need isn't something to be casual about--if the setup breaks a flying bolt or something could go right thru you!!

I had a similar issue with a tapered spline on a D4D clutch hub. Had to be pressed back with 20 tons. Took a month or two and manufactured my own hollow shaft hydraulic cylinder to press it back together. Found out later that Cat had misprinted the spec--it should have been 6 tons or so. Split the first hub I tried to press back and had to find another...

Keep us posted!
Jon.

fordtrucknut

It rained today so no working on it. I'm not entirely sure that the sprocket slid off the splines of the hub, the sprocket nut is tight, it's almost like the center of the sprocket broke off the main sprocket.(see picture) just the amount of play in the sprocket screams more than jsut slipped off the hub. Also the lack of any oil leaking from the final tells me the dual cones are still functioning.
Won't know for sure until I can get back into it.
This is just going to be a farm machine, light periodic work, couple ponds cleaned and about 20 trees pushed down.
A new sprocket and hub is around 2k, so im still right side up on the price. But ive got a huge dismantler about an hour away that will probably have the parts used.
spare-part-final-drive-USED-CAT-955K-955L-CRAWLER-LOADER-HUB-PINION-SHAFT-COVER-CIRCLE---1602248375071900507_big--20100915511532139300.jpg

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If that center did break out start looking to the trucks support arrangement, bolts, supports, cross bar, something would have had to seriously gotten to a loose point to stress that hub to flange transition.

fordtrucknut

If that center did break out start looking to the trucks support arrangement, bolts, supports, cross bar, something would have had to seriously gotten to a loose point to stress that hub to flange transition.
So far every bolt has been tight. I know the tracks are worn and the rear roller is worn real bad, when it broke he was using it on hard packed gravel, moving and going over waste busted and broken up concrete, lots of concrete dust and bits were under the covers,
He used to do a lot of building tear downs so I'm sure he's used to it crawl over all kinds of hard material it wasn't made to go over that puts a lot of unneeded side stress on things.

The left side has an older style wagon wheel sprocket on it so I know that's been replaced at one time.

fordtrucknut

Well...... I got everything apart...
The hub snapped right at the back of the sprocket, of course it took out about 2" of splines about 1/2" deep out of the sprocket... and it took out the double pinion gear too funny though the main gear on the hub has zero damage.
Also the holder assembly and big nut that presses the outside dual cone came off in one piece is that how they are supposed to come off like that?
Guess I'm on the hunt for some parts now.
If anyone has a line on someone parting out a loader in mid Missouri are let me know.
Thanks.