• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955

ronm

I purchased an older Cat 955 track loader, transmission is slow warming up. Where do I check and add transmission oil if needed. What type oil and where can it be purchased. Everything runs and works fine just very slow warm up.

Tks Ron

overworked

Depending on serial number, should be under seat, 30wt TDTO. I would change the filter ,clean the suction screen and check the hoses and clamps on the piping. Just to start as a general point on most machines with your symptoms.

Last edited:

AllDodge

I purchased an older Cat 955 track loader, transmission is slow warming up. Where do I check and add transmission oil if needed. What type oil and where can it be purchased. Everything runs and works fine just very slow warm up.

Tks Ron

If its like mine there is a panel which lifts up just in front of the seat. Under it there are two fill caps. one is the transmission and the other is the final drive. Mine had one dip stick which is used for both to check level.
Just to the right in this pic is one of the fill tubes
Photo469.jpg

The sort of round cap is removed to gain access to the trans filter
Photo471.jpg

ronm

Depending on serial number, should be under seat, 30wt TDTO. I would change the filter ,clean the suction screen and check the hoses and clamps on the piping. Just to start as a general point on most machines with your symptoms.

Thanks, I appreciate the information

ronm

image.jpgimage.jpg
Alldodge, in your pic the round is trans filter and square is suction filter, I don't see many 955, more 977, thanks

I appreciate all the info I guess I have a different model. I don't know if it's older or newer, I could not find a serial num under the seat or anywhere else. I have attached three pictures, the first shows a dipstick and just the left a fill port. On the cap its stamped on nine oil only. On the third picture of the right steering pedal there is a fill tube in the very front and what looks like a dipstick on the right of the pedal, but could not remove it. Any suggestions where to go next? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 440
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 409

Bob/Ont

955H 60A low serial# lever steer dry clutches and brakes. Front dipstick, just work at it cap likely is likely just rusted to tube. The other tube with breather on cap near it is the Powershift trans filler, the dipstick and filler at the rear by seat is for the Range trans. Use tdto oil in them, The power shift is 2 speed and the range is 2 speed with a neutral to allow for running a inch while not traveling. The range control has a lockout to prevent the lever moving unless the powershift is in neutral. The filter at the back is for the steering and the round cover with a pipe and hose off of it is the steering screen. Trans filter is on the side.
Later Bob

ronm

Just so I'm clear, use sae30 Tdto oil in both places. Do I then add oil thru the dipstick? Thanks

Bob/Ont

No, look at the two breathers, put a wrench on the square of the cap they screw into and turn it. The cap is where you fill the oil.
Later Bob

ronm

Bob, I hate to sound stupid, but is the breather the bolt that appears to be painted yellow and is directly to the left of the dipstick in the first picture? That is the one that is stamped engine oil only. Thanks

AllDodge

Have to admit I don't see the fill. Bob is the expert here, and in the pic below this is what I see as the breather
breather1.jpg

Bob/Ont

Breather on the cap in front of the RH pedal up by the dash is for the powershift trans and the one back beside the filter cover by the seat is for the range trans and bevel gear oil.
Later Bob

Bob/Ont

Thanks AllDodge could you also mark the similar one up by the dash too please.
Later Bob

Bob/Ont

Thanks AllDodge, go for those plugs Ron. The dipsticks have caps that are sleeves fitting tight to the tube and likely have rusted tight on the front one if it's not coming off.
Later Bob

ronm

Thanks for all the information. Do I need to have the machine running or warm to check levels. Is there a website or place I can go to get specifications on lubricants and etc. for this machine..
Thanks Ron

Bob/Ont

You check the oils warm with engine at low idle. Final drives don't matter. You can use diesel engine oil in the hyd, it will extend pump life. Power shift trans or any component with a clutch needs TdTo or To4. Final drives use 50W.
Later Bob

russ61

Occupation
screw machine shop supervisor
I too have a 955H series 60A with the same symptoms. I can't find the suction filter. My trans filter is forward of the right brake pedal above torque converter housing. Should suction filter be the same square housing as in the pictures? Or is it something else located else where? In the past I have actually primed the filter housing to get going. I hear the suction noise too. Just a farm machine but I do need it from time to time. Thanks for any guidance .

Bob/Ont

Russ, when you have the trans oil out there is a KEY HOLE sort of cover on the lower side. It's a round cover with a square out the side of it held on by 3/8" bolts and it has a screen under it.
Later Bob