• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 953 rpm

yvpw

Hey everyone, I just purchased an 88 953. A neighbor of mine who has had 4 of them said that he doesn't think it's running wide open. What rpm is wide open on these machines? How would I check rpm's? I've also noticed that when it's warm that both tracks sometimes don't engage at the same time and I have to hit the right pedal then left to get them both going. It's very aggravating. It's always the right side. Any ideas about that? Thank you

Cmark

High idle should be 2550+-60 RPM. Check with a phototach.

Your tracking problem is possibly the seals for the vent check valves. These are part of the makeup/relief valves which are on the front of the transmission where the main drive hoses attach. Check the O rings and backup rings, items 10 and 11. There's one either side, both identical but arranged as kind of a mirror image of each other.

VCValve.jpg

yvpw

Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated. This is the first piece of heavy equipment that I've owned. I need to get an owners manual and possibly repair manual as well. Any place that y'all would recommend for me to get those? I think I've seen some on Ebay.

Nige

For an Operation & Maintenance Manual, try the Cat Publications website - https://catpublications.com/
When the popup appears, click on "Continue as Guest".
Type SEBU5758 in the search window and hit enter. It should take you to the illustration below. You can download a pdf copy for $46. Paper versions or CD will incur shipping costs on top of the price.
If you want a Parts Manual type SEBP1316 in the Search Box.
Repair manuals are not available from Cat Publications. Try eBay, etc. for Cat Publication reference SENR2033.

upload_2019-3-21_9-33-4.png

kshansen

Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated. This is the first piece of heavy equipment that I've owned. I need to get an owners manual and possibly repair manual as well. Any place that y'all would recommend for me to get those? I think I've seen some on Ebay.
Well there appears to be one service manual on on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-CATERP...u4:sc:USPSPriority!13060!US!-1&frcectupt=true

$390 might sound like a lot but if it saves you one service call from dealer it will be money in the bank!

I would also suggest a parts manual. Go to:
https://catpublications.com/
And click on continue as guest. Enter SEBP1316-00 in the search box and it should take you to where you can buy or download the parts book. Again price might seem high but if it save a few hours down time well worth it to me!

Wish I had paid better attention in typing class, Nige beat me to it again!

Nige

A new paper RENR2033 Service Manual is currently priced at $615, so less than $400 for a used one (provided it's complete) is not a bad price at all - probably equivalent to about 2.5 hours of paid dealer service tech time, and it's a resource that could be sold if the machine was ever sold on, so you'd never lose money on it.

yvpw

It's actually in very good shape. Has only a little over 7,000 hours on it. Less than a 1,000 on a complete rebuild with paperwork. I'm just the 3rd owner and know the 2nd owner personally. Everyone that knows this 953 who has a lot of experience with them says the same thing. Undercarriage is like new and has wide track system.

Cmark

My apologies. I certainly didn't mean to imply that your machine is no good. Just that the cat hystat track loaders are fairly unique in the HE world and, repair and maintenance wise, for your first piece of equipment you've jumped in at the deep end. But don't worry, we're all here for ya!

As for those hours, if I were you then I would be asking some questions. Like, if it needed a complete rebuild at only 6000 hrs, then why? And if so, why is the transmission giving problems with under 1000 hrs on it? But anyway, I suppose you have to play the hand you're dealt now that the warranty's expired. :)

yvpw

Thank you! The rebuild was just on the motor. New camshaft and injectors, water pump was done with it. It's definitely a learning process and I truly appreciate everyone's help. I got it to use on the farm. The machine can be used fine just like it is. I just notice some things about it. The second owner, a family friend had it for about 8 years. He just used it to clear a few acres of land and it wasnt used very much by him. All of the pins seem tight, it has enclosed cab with air and heat. No leaks, hydraulics work great and strong. It's not beat up at all.

When I'm pushing something it does the same thing on the right side. I have to hit the right pedal and then back to the left pedal to get both tracks going equal It's frustrating, especially when backing up an incline. At times the right side will engage after the left has backed up just a little. You can feel the right side sort of jerk into moving. I hope this helps to get an idea of what it's doing.