• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951C fuel governor shaft

Kansaswoodguy

I had a root off a black locust come up and snapped off the fuel governor shaft any tricks to replacing it I need to be aware of. Can it be done without separating the governor and injection pump? The shaft broke off at the end of the splines I order a new shaft and seals.

IMG_0281.jpeg

Kansaswoodguy

Ok had to remove governor from injection pump to replace the shaft didn’t order all the seals so got them ordered. My question now is the governor compartment does it take 90W oil or anything it looked like the last guy that had it open put grease in that compartment I can’t seem to find anything showing what goes in there. I replace both seals for the shaft I broke off and the spring under the cover was broken also. Grease doesn’t really strike me as what was originally designed for that compartment but I could be mistaken. IMG_0324.jpeg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well first off that governor gets it's oil from the engine.

Been too long since I was into one of those governors so hope someone more up to date working on them can chime in and say how to reassemble.

You want to be 100% sure things are in right or it could cause major damage to the governor and the engine when it starts!

One thing if I recall the area under that cover you have the yellow line around in the picture does not have oil in it but someone can correct me on that maybe just a little clean lube before bolting on the cover and gasket?

Maybe with some luck tctractors will see this post and he can give some pointers.

Last edited:

Kansaswoodguy

I think from doing some reading that my particular governor is diesel fuel bath lubricated system but I can’t see how it could get into that one compartment and there appears to be a bolt hole in the bottom left side of the cover that the bolt has been missing from completely for some time, that would make diesel or oil impossible to be used idk it’s got me scratching me head for sure.

kshansen

Occupation
I think from doing some reading that my particular governor is diesel fuel bath lubricated system but I can’t see how it could get into that one compartment and there appears to be a bolt hole in the bottom left side of the cover that the bolt has been missing from completely for some time, that would make diesel or oil impossible to be used idk it’s got me scratching me head for sure.
Yes the governor it self in bathed in fuel, it the outer section just under that four bolt cover with the detents for manual shut down that is more or less dry.

Here is another view of the governor:
cat gov.jpg
There are two seals on that governor shaft. #10 points to the one in the cover and my red arrow points to the other. Never understood why Cat decided to show those two seals (which by the way are identical 4J7433 seals) in two very different places in the parts break down for the governor.

I'm thinking you may have the four bolt cover off already, so I would suggest checking the plates marked #7 if your machine has a manual shut-down because they can get worn and cause problems. I believe you can reverse them and let them wear on the other side by the slot for the detent.

Kansaswoodguy

Yes the governor it self in bathed in fuel, it the outer section just under that four bolt cover with the detents for manual shut down that is more or less dry.

Here is another view of the governor:
View attachment 295222
There are two seals on that governor shaft. #10 points to the one in the cover and my red arrow points to the other. Never understood why Cat decided to show those two seals (which by the way are identical 4J7433 seals) in two very different places in the parts break down for the governor.

I'm thinking you may have the four bolt cover off already, so I would suggest checking the plates marked #7 if your machine has a manual shut-down because they can get worn and cause problems. I believe you can reverse them and let them wear on the other side by the slot for the detent.
I ordered a new ball and probably should have ordered new plates the seals you’re talking about I did replace them both. I didn’t realize I had to remove the entire governor from the pump when I ordered parts the first time and am now waiting on all the other gaskets that didn’t fair well on disassembly. Dry compartment well that at least makes sense from what I was seeing when I disassembled it. Maybe since it’s apart I should just go ahead and order those new #7 plates they did look a little suspect. Thanks for the info

Kansaswoodguy

Got it repaired that friction plate spring was already broken and the previous owner or someone had adjusted the low idle to semi compensate for the issue I’m guessing that took me a few minutes to figure out but other than that it went back together pretty easily. Thanks for the assist guys.

kshansen

Occupation
Got it repaired that friction plate spring was already broken and the previous owner or someone had adjusted the low idle to semi compensate for the issue I’m guessing that took me a few minutes to figure out but other than that it went back together pretty easily. Thanks for the assist guys.
Glad to be of help! Do you need an address to send the money?
Just kidding!

But if I find myself in Fort Scott I'll be looking for suggestions on the best BBQ!