• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 950f

Occupation
heavy equiptment mechanic\operator
hello guys, my name is charles ,and im a new member i am having some problems with a cat 950 f loader.ser #5sk02956 the dash gauges dont work and the trans display does not work .i do have trouble codes 030-096fo3,030-248fo2,030819fo2,030-821fo4 .the machine works and moves just fine, but the alarm is going off in the cab.i do not have a repar manual or wireing schematic for this machine. im suspecting a power failure to the dash or dash failure but any help or shcematics would be appreciated.when you turn on the key the gauges do the self check and the trans display lights up then everything goes off except the hourmeter

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If you go to the "Start a Conversation" and start one with me an give me an email address I can send you a copy of the wiring schematic for this machine.

In the mean time here is the section out of the schematic that explains in part what the service codes that start with 030 mean:

950F.png

Occupation
ok after a day of testing still have no dash gauges have power and have ground harness has been checked for continuity when you turn on switch gauges move and trans indicator lights up then shuts off but occasionally will light up for a bit and gauges will move but then all shuts back off i am suspecting a bad cluster but want to be sure before spending a ton of money on the cluster

Cmark

You have three separate modules on the dash; the Cat monitor control, the speedo/tach and the quad gauge. You're saying that two of the three don't work, correct? Given the fault codes related to data link failure, that seems strange.

When you check for voltage/ground at the modules, are you disconnecting the plugs and using a digital multimeter? If so, that can give you a false result. The best way is to either use a test light (headlamp bulb for example) or back-probe the connectors whilst they are plugged in and powered up.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'd be more inclined to think of a dodgy wiring harness connector somewhere.
Those panells either work or they don't in my experience. The fact that yours lights when you first turn the key leads me to believe it's likely to be good.
Did you get the electrical schematic from KSH..? If so I would start by looking at all the major harness plugs that could affect the dash panel.

The fact that you have Datalink Diagnostic Codes (096 & 248) plus the 9V Power Supply (821) generally points to a harness fault somewhere.
You didn't mention if the Codes were Active or Logged..? In other words after the first power-up where the gauges all swing full scale and the lights flash, does the "SERV CODE" indicator in the window below all the warning lights stay on or go out..?

Occupation
ok yes two of the three dont work they power up at first but do not swing full motion they all only move half way then go back to zero at first i disconnected the plugs to the dash and tested but then i plugged back in and then back probed with a digital multimeter and the only active code is 030-819f02

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
OK, that figures. 819 is the 9v power supply to the display.
Attached is the Diagnostic Procedure for this particular code. You'll note right at the end that it says even if the indications point to the display being faulty perform the complete procedure again and only if you get the same result a second time should you replace the module. That's how unlikely (but possible) it is for the module to be bad.
Harness connections are often the cause of these faults. Did you simply pull and check harness connections or did you clean everything you opened with electrical contact cleaner before reconnecting..?

Attachments

• CID819FMI02.pdf
    118 KB · Views: 15
Occupation
thank you for the information ,i always clean with contact cleaner and reassemble with anti corrosion gel ,all of our equiptment is subject to high corrosion enviroment. this machine is low hour but has been in a highly corrosive enviroment by previos owners (saltwater) but relatively trouble free for several years again thank you for your help and knowledge i really do appreciate it

Occupation
ok i tested just like the procedure said twice and with two different meters it all tested good im gonna say the display is toast

Occupation
yeah i feel better knowing that it has been tested ,thank you so much for the test procedures it was a big help.i have ordered service and parts manuals for this machine should have them soon