• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 950F II multiple issues

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Hi guys,

I need help with some issues iam having with my 1997 CAT 950F II loader, first off i cannot stop the engine after i have finished working with the machine by simply turning the ignition key to the off position! instead i have to either raise the boom to the max or lower it to the ground and keep pushing on the raise/lower lever! this issue started few days after i removed and rebuilt the engine, before that it would crank and shut off normally using the ignition key.
The second issue happens when i raise the boom for the first time after i start the machine, once i let the lift lever go the boom instantly drops about a foot and then it holds position, also when i fully raise the boom with an empty bucket and shut the engine off, it would start dropping down slowly without noise til it hits the ground but it happens within 8-10 hours, and in both cases they happen regardless if the machine is cold or warm.
The third and last issue is that this machine was used to load Sulfur prior to me purchasing it, and so the frame is covered with an inch thick of Sulfur, as well as all the wires and cables/electrical connections are covered with this stuff, which caused lots of rust on the lower cab area and cab filters access doors, and I've had to replace many bad wires due to this issue, my question is what's the best way to clean this stuff off? needless to say that i had few sore eyes nights and went through few types of goggles until i finally realized it's not gonna happen the easy way.. any eyes-saving tips ppl :bash

Machine S/N: 5SK02577
Thanks in advance for this great Place.

Bob/Ont

The shutdown problem is likely a broken wire. Is your alternator charging? Not sure of your machine but many used the output from the R terminal to trigger the shutdown solenoid. Drift problem might be in the cushion ride again electrical.
Later Bob

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
The 950f II has a 3116 engine with a 3 wire shutoff solenoid. the pull in wire goes to the motor terminal on the starter and the shutoff or unlatch wire goes to the key switch and is only powered when the key is off. The shutoff wire is the small red one on the solenoid , if it does not have power to it with the key off you need to start checking fuses and wiring.
Does this machine have ride control on the loader .If it does try turning it off to see if the bucket still drops. There were some problems with the ride control valves causing drifting even when its shut off.

Delmer

Are you saying you tried to pressure wash it and the acid burned your eyes, or what? My understanding is that sulfur by itself is inert, it breaks down to acid which causes the problems. I'd try rinsing it thoroughly, like putting a couple of sprinklers underneath it overnight (to dilute the acid) and then pressure washing the solids off. When you have it as clean as you are going to get it, rinse it with baking soda solution.

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
The shutdown problem is likely a broken wire. Is your alternator charging? Not sure of your machine but many used the output from the R terminal to trigger the shutdown solenoid. Drift problem might be in the cushion ride again electrical.
Later Bob

Hey Bob, well i did have an alternator light flickering issue few months ago after i re-installed the engine right after rebuilt, my transmission would also fall out of first gear and reverse once the machine starts to move and the buzzer alarm would go off if i rived the engine trying to get the machine to move a little bit, this issue was resolved thanks to your tip on another post about the Cat 980 transmission rebuilt, when you explained that a faulty alternator could be what's causing these two issues, i had checked the alternator and found out that it was over charging, so i removed my alternator had it rebuilt and installed it back again and these two issues were gone, but i still have the charging light flashes once or twice when iam working the machine every once in a while, but i think it might be the loose female pin connector on the green charging output wire on the rear of the alternator, will let you know once i've replaced it if anything changes, as far as the hydraulics issues where should i be looking exactly? i don't have any manuals for this machine.

Thanks.

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
The 950f II has a 3116 engine with a 3 wire shutoff solenoid. the pull in wire goes to the motor terminal on the starter and the shutoff or unlatch wire goes to the key switch and is only powered when the key is off. The shutoff wire is the small red one on the solenoid , if it does not have power to it with the key off you need to start checking fuses and wiring.
Does this machine have ride control on the loader .If it does try turning it off to see if the bucket still drops. There were some problems with the ride control valves causing drifting even when its shut off.

Hey Mobiltech, yes the machine is equipped with a ride control system, i will check the power on the red wire on the solenoid and i will also try the hydraulic tip, i will get back if anything changes.

Thanks for your help.

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Are you saying you tried to pressure wash it and the acid burned your eyes, or what? My understanding is that sulfur by itself is inert, it breaks down to acid which causes the problems. I'd try rinsing it thoroughly, like putting a couple of sprinklers underneath it overnight (to dilute the acid) and then pressure washing the solids off. When you have it as clean as you are going to get it, rinse it with baking soda solution.

Hi Delmer, you mean regular water sprinklers? well, i would try that but sulfur does not dissolve in water, so iam not sure if it will work.
I started cleaning the stuff off with a scraper and an air blower, which will turn it into very fine dust and most likely it will go into your eyes even with goggles on! once this dust becomes airborne you will have burning eyes trust me haha i tried everything with this damn substance, pressure wash does not remove the old hardened residue in some areas, it only removes the non hardened portions but it does dissolve with versol (parts washing liquid) and with diesel fuel, so i tried spraying versol or fuel at it in order to soak it then pressure wash it off, but there's too much of it on the machine, so far i only cleaned the engine hole and the radiator by scraping the majority of it and then using a mixture of fuel and versol to wash it off with a brush! i think eventually i will clean the whole machine one way or another but i was hoping if anyone here knows a less time consuming way, sulfur loading machines like this one are common in the Alberta oil sands industry, as sulfur is a bi product of the refining process so iam also trying to find out whether or not i should bye a similar machine in the future.

Thanks for your answer.

Delmer

Yes, I meant regular lawn and garden sprinklers, to rinse and dilute the acid so it doesn't burn so much when you pressure wash it. Sorry, I have no idea how to actually remove it, turbo nozzle? bigger pressure washer? or alternate pressure washing what you can get and soaking the remains with diesel?