• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 938K vs Volvo L90G vs. Komatsu WA320-7

S120483

Occupation
Equipment Manager
Ok wanted to get a new thread going on a specific topic. We have decided to get two sizes of wheel loaders in this next purchase. We are convinced we need some smaller units for broom work as well as our smaller jobs, so much more efficient when you don't need the 966 power, which is a lot of the time to be honest. So we are having Cat quote 2 966K and 6 938K's. Volvo is quoting L90G's and 150H's and Komatsu is quoting WA470-7 and 320-7. I think price is gonna be a big deal here but Cat already has some strikes against them on the bigger loader for bad visibility and lack of steering wheel. I think Komatsu might be most price competitive. That being said in the 938, L90, 320-7 size class what are you guys liking best? How are the new hydro Cats holding up? L90 is a pretty proven machine am I right? I think these loaders will get a majority of the use since the bigger units will come into play on jobs with heavier stuff but most of our jobs a smaller machine will be faster and get stuck less in some of or muddy soils. I think the increased speed of a smaller machine will keep up on stone boxes. This seems to be what we have come to in our testing of various size machines.

S120483

Occupation
Equipment Manager
Forgot to mention Deere. They are a little late to the dance but are bringing a 624K to the site tomorrow. How is this machine, worth considering against the above mentioned units?

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
I have a 724J with about 16000hrs I loved running the machine great power,visibility, quick .but very poor dealer and factory support 5 axles its down now . did accept a price just to make sure they know how I feel about them but didn't entertain a purchase on the last loader purchase .

Firemanmike69

The Komatsu's should come with "Komatsu care" which is complimentary maintence for the first 2000 hours if that helps sway the decision. Can't say much about the other units as in not familiar with them but I know a Fair but about the Komatsu's

Ben Witter

The L90H should be launched by the time they order any new machines. They may have some L90G's in dealers stock if you prefer but I would take the "H" model if you have the chance even if the price is higher.

DennisZ

Around here, CAT lowered it's prices quite a bit as there were few units sold the last couple of years. I recently bought a 924K, which is mainly the same machine as the 938K. Priced a Volvo L 60G also. Price was the same for a similar specd machine as the Cat, but without bucket and forks. The cat was with that. But trade in for my old car was 10k more than volvo would give me.

Love the 924K. Also have a 924G. K is much more machine, much faster. Only have 200 hours on it so can't say if it any good yet...

If you decide on Volvo try to get the G series loaders instead of the newer H, the H uses DEF.

S120483

Occupation
Equipment Manager
We went with the Volvos. We bought a L90G and two L180H's. Guys are loving the Volvos. We use the L90 with a broom, forks and a bucket. We got the 180's with 7.2 yd buckets and 96" JRB forks 128" carriage, awesome machines for the handling long trench boxes and trench plates. Also the machine handles the 7.2 re handling bucket no problem. Cut time way down on job we are currently on where the sewer runs down the middle of the proposed street thus requiring us to sand backfill. So nice vs the 966's with the capacity and the ride. We got the wider metric radials on all of them and so far so good. They are handling everything the spring can throw at them so far, and they ride so much better than the 966's with the bias tires. We went with Volvo because the dealer seemed really hungry and so far they have been great, even threw in the first oil changes for the units in the deal. Also helped to diversify our fleet a little and make us less beholden to CAT. On top of that we just hated the visibility and joystick steer in the K series CATs. Really weird why CAT wanted to shove the joystick down everyones throats? Kinda glad they did because I think it forced us to consider the Volvo which seems to be a all around better unit. We will see, time will tell.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I figured that you would be happy with Volvo. L90s are all our pipe crews run. They did a job this past summer, and the stock piles were 2 blocks away. Calvin was able to keep a 350, and a 330 excavator going with stone, and bedding, as well as bring manhole sections, frame, and grates, and sections of concrete pipe for storm lines. Plus re-load trucks from the excavated material stock pile, for backfill. Mind you, once you get past the bull **** stories, Calvin is an awesome loader man. If he does have any spare time, he fixes up the driving lanes, makes sure people still have access to their homes, or businesses, plus keeps tabs on his stock piles for the scale man so he knows what to have sent out from the quarry. We put snow tires on the loaders in the winter, and the L90s are great for running all over town from one parking lot to the next. Not sure what your service is like there, but Strongo is the dealer here, and they are so reliable that they even do the repairs on the older stuff. He was just here a week ago to fix the ride control on the L150E. Everyone is keeping an eye on the L70G to see how this ReGen system is going to work out...so far so good.

Digdeep

Really weird why CAT wanted to shove the joystick down everyones throats? Kinda glad they did because I think it forced us to consider the Volvo which seems to be a all around better unit. We will see, time will tell.

I wasn't aware that the 938K had a joystick steering option. I think it's only a steering wheel.

S120483

Occupation
Equipment Manager
You are correct Digdeep there 938K is steering wheel only. I was referring to the 966K and up. When we decided to go with he Volvo 180's we stayed the same brand with the 90. I just was commenting on how it was weird that Cat now only offers the 966 and up with joystick.

Digdeep

You are correct Digdeep there 938K is steering wheel only. I was referring to the 966K and up. When we decided to go with he Volvo 180's we stayed the same brand with the 90. I just was commenting on how it was weird that Cat now only offers the 966 and up with joystick.

Not questioning your choice of machines, but I'm sure they offer the 966M that replaced the 966K with an option for either steering wheel or joystick since I sat in a new 966M a few weeks ago that had a steering wheel.

S120483

Occupation
Equipment Manager
Really, a 966M with a steering wheel? Was it a normal conventional steering wheel or like the cab command steer they used to have in the older G's and H's? I know my Cat salesman says that Cat claimed they were going to offer a steering wheel in the K's but then decided not to. Maybe they changed their mind for the M's. Any pics of a 966K or M with a steering wheel, I did a search and couldn't find any?

Digdeep

Really, a 966M with a steering wheel? Was it a normal conventional steering wheel or like the cab command steer they used to have in the older G's and H's? I know my Cat salesman says that Cat claimed they were going to offer a steering wheel in the K's but then decided not to. Maybe they changed their mind for the M's. Any pics of a 966K or M with a steering wheel, I did a search and couldn't find any?

Yes. Real steering wheel. I'll see if my buddy will send me a picture. I just looked at the 966M spec sheet on Cat.com and the steering wheel is listed in the optional equipment-

• Steering, EH wheel with directional FNR shifter and gear selector
– Additional FNR with implement controls

S120483

Occupation
Equipment Manager
Any luck with the photos Digdeep? I did look through the 966/972M series brochure and it lists the steering wheel as EH. So it isn't a cab command like the previous generation but I am thinking the feel might be a bit numb if it is fly by wire vs. direct linkage of years past. Anyone on the board have experience in a 966/972 K or M with the steering wheel? Just curious how it feels.