• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 931b right steering issue

msllc

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hello sir , I hope you are having a great Christmas .
You have to adjust the top and bottom at the same time .
There is a leaver that can wear to oblong hole , and some have a bearing that can wear . always a good idea to look over the linkage . good luck , sam .

msllc

Ok guys, here is the final update on this machine. I was looking over the rear of the machine & found the right side adjuster “screw”, caterpillar parts diagram calls it, completely missing. I assume that “it just fell out” some time before I bought it. I chased the threads on that hole with a standard 1/2”-13 bolt to ensure all threads were ok. Then moved on to the left side. The “screw” Was seized in place. So I used a cutting torch to carefully warm that whole area up carefully. I eventually got that old screw out & chased those threads as well. I replaced both (2) screws & adjusting nuts, as per the directions found on this site. I just thought that everyone who chimes in would fully appreciate an update on this issue. Immediately after finishing up this brake repair / adjustment, this machine was transported to the new owner about 90 miles away. I did ensure that it no longer banged when steering. I had no real good way to determine if the left side was properly adjusted to begin with as the transporter was waiting on me to walk it over to him, that was on 3-16-2020, this past Monday.
I did just want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to me ultimately repairing this issue. I hope this also sets a trend for other guys to reply with what actually helped repair their machine as well. Cheers to all! Thanks a million!!

Welder Dave

Which bolts/screws are you talking about, the bolts to hold up the brake bands? They just support the brake bands so the top doesn't ride on the drums but don't do much with brake adjustment. I have read that some people leave them out so that any water in the clutch housing will run out. I think a better idea is to put anti-seize on them and take them out occasionally to drain any moisture that may have got in the clutch compartments.

msllc

yes. I was talking about the actual bolts that hold up the brake bands in close to the brake drums. I think I have heard of other guys leaving these bolts out, as you have said,, but there were (3) drain holes on the bottom of my machine, plus two (2) more for these bolts to do what they were designed to do. The buyer was an 81 year old lover of old iron & I knew he was my buyer when he started to walk around it. he said that he had one before & regretted selling it.