• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 930G Troubles

what the

Occupation
Diesel/equipment mechanic
It would be nice to know if the pump was the problem. The code for the pump is based on fuel pressure which can be the pump or a blockage or leak in the supply line. I worked four years at a Detroit diesel dealer and the mechanics would start changing parts with out diagnosing the problem. If the computer didn't tell them what was wrong they were lost. I still practice old school along with new school (electronics) the 5 gallon bucket is good but I start with a vacuum gage at the primary filter (between tank and lift pump) 2-3" is normal and any thing over 7" is a blockage. A low reading 1" or less is a air leak on the supply line. I also install a gauge on the secondary filter housing and check the pressure at idle and wot a low reading with ok vac is a week pump. A high reading can be a blockage in the fuel line to injector pump. This is after you replace all filters. Also I have noticed alot of confusion on smoke while at the dealership. It is a good idea to get these readings during your routine maintenance to have a baseline to go by when a problem comes up it will save you alot of time and money.

Black smoke = to much fuel or not enough air. ..... burning rich
Gray smoke = way to much fuel a broken injector or tip or very low compression rings or valves.
Blue smoke = Oil in combustion chamber ... bad rings or turbo or valve guides possible head gasket.
White smoke is the harder one = A lack of fuel or coolant in compression chamber you have to smell the smoke if you smell antifreeze than it's coolant possible head gasket or EGR cooler. If not than a bad pump, pump timing or fuel blockage or air leak on supply line.

I don't understand alot of the new mechanics that come out to the site and have no gauges and start to replace parts they should refund your money for the unnecessary parts not including the filters.

Don't mean to offend any one I know there are alot of good mechanics on this site.

blackout

If it was the Injection pumop that had to be replaced is there anyone who could email me the procedure to replace the injection pump on a 930g wheel loader with the 3056e. I need to do one on our loader. the old mechanic did the previous 2 and im new to the machinery world. Been doin the light duty diesel high performance thing for years. any help would be greatlyt appreciated.

Thank You

Adam

Ross

If it was the Injection pumop that had to be replaced is there anyone who could email me the procedure to replace the injection pump on a 930g wheel loader with the 3056e. I need to do one on our loader. the old mechanic did the previous 2 and im new to the machinery world. Been doin the light duty diesel high performance thing for years. any help would be greatlyt appreciated.

Thank You

Adam

He Adam .. As per our conversation last night:

Did you get the info I posted for you?