• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 930G issues

breg099

Hey all back at it with this loader, Cat 930G with a 3056e SN TWR01223

It was having a hard time starting and a head gasket issue. I pulled the Head changed the gasket and the injectors. Set the lash at .2 and .45 mm changed the injection pump timed it a TDC cylinder 1 replaced the fuel lines from the secondary fuel filter to the primary but did not from tank to primary filter. I did everything by the book. Finally got it back together cranked it over no start ok here we go.

Bled air at injectors a tonne came out but it fired up. I shut it off for 10-15 again it would not start bled it again, shut it off to see no start. So i pulled the line leading from the primary fuel filter to lift pump and put it straight to tank primed it with the lift pump and got resistance but still no fire. Bled injectors again no fire. Gave it a quick shot of ether and it ran.

Ran it for 20 mins. It runs great everytime once i get it going but cannot find out where this air was coming from. After the last time i shut it down and restarted it when i left the shop 10 minutes later with the line from prime hooked to tank it fired right back up.

Im concerned it wont go when i get there in the morning. Any guidance would be appreciated. Did i time my pump wrong? Should i swap all rubber lines, if it doesn't start tommorow shall i give it a shot of either again and let it run a while to get that air out?

Vetech63

Pump timing has nothing to do with air intrusion. You have a suction leak somewhere between your fuel tank and the supply pump in my opinion.

breg099

Thanks I though so too but i replaced the line from tank to lift pump and from other side of lift pump to secondary fuel filter. The only other line on the input side of the filter hooks into my intake manifold and on output back to tank so i doubt that line is causing any issues. The only line i haven't replaced the wait i have it set up is running to my pump

Vetech63

Suction leaks can be difficult to find. You have to check EVERY possible connection in the suction system including every threaded fitting, hose clamp, filter seal. I have in the past gone as far as hooking up an electric feed pump, plugging the inlet line at the injector pump, and pressuring the fuel system on the suction side to find those type of leaks.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Suction leaks can be difficult to find. You have to check EVERY possible connection in the suction system including every threaded fitting, hose clamp, filter seal. I have in the past gone as far as hooking up an electric feed pump, plugging the inlet line at the injector pump, and pressuring the fuel system on the suction side to find those type of leaks.
I could also see plugging the line at the suction side of the transfer pump and then back at the tank install a pressure gauge and pressurize the line and primary filter then watch for the pressure to bleed off. But then you will also have to worry about a crack in the tank if there is a suction lube going down in there. Had a Bobcat that pulled that one on us, had a plastic tube hanging down from top of tank that had a fine crack in it!