• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 920 that has been sitting

Joel59

A3C88CA4-F262-4C77-9A85-76F22B6FFF04.jpeg A3D68677-37D5-42F9-88D0-491DA60E752D.jpeg 46937DF9-9790-4784-895B-D29F9C348F48.jpeg Well I’ve hit another snag. My “remanufactured” block has a very obvious flaw! Do I ship this thing back and start the search for another one, or have it repaired at their cost? What are your thought?

56wrench

I would get another block. if that is the quality of their 'remanufactured' block, there is no telling what else is wrong with it. the whole thing could be a nightmare

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
What the ..... did they do to that block, drop it of a cliff? No way I would try to fix that. I mean if it was the last know Cat block and it was only going to be used for display in a museum then maybe!

What did they use to stamp those numbers in the block a drop ball from a 100 foot tall crane?

Joel59

Ok, so I'm ready for some help timing this injection pump to the engine. The accessory gear (on the inj.pump) never got marked to the idler gear that mates to the cam. How do I go about timing this correctly? I'm including pics of

Attachments

• IMG_1970.jpg
    IMG_1970.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 26

56wrench

insert pin in the flywheel thru the proper hole in the flywheel housing and at the same time the hardened timing pin should drop into the recess in the injection pump drive(under the oblong cover on the injection pump). always turn the engine in the direction of rotation so the backlash in the gears is removed as you come up to the timing holes.

kshansen

Occupation
Well you need to get all the front gears on first, don't forget the balance shafts need to be timed too!

Did you find the timing pin I mentioned back in post #74? You need that to time the injection pump.

I'm attaching the timing instructions from SIS to give you a start if you need more information ask and I or someone should be able to help.

Attachments

• 3304 Timing.pdf
    515.5 KB · Views: 12

Joel59

Thanks for the timing information. I will be using it shortly. I have received my new oil pump and pickup tubes, and now have those installed. What should I be doing to prime this pump? Is there something I need to do while I have access to the pump, or do I need to put the pan on and filter and turn it over manually to start pumping oil. In short, I think I need to prime the system, but don't want to put it together too far to do so. Thanks. Joel

kshansen

Occupation
If you lubed the parts as you assembled them about the only thing I might do to the pump is dump some clean oil in it and turn over by hand before installing it.

Then fill completed engine with oil and crank it over with the batter till the oil pressure gauge starts to move up before letting it start. Should only take a few seconds. If engine has a spin-on oil filter might help to fill that before installing. New oil pump should self prime fast.

Joel59

Ok, great. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Thanks again. Now I just need to come up with the front (small) seal installing tool. I have the larger rear one.

Joel59

I can’t seem to find which cylinder is #1. Is it closest to the flywheel or closest to the timing gears? Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
I can’t seem to find which cylinder is #1. Is it closest to the flywheel or closest to the timing gears? Thanks
The timing gears, it can be confusing at times with the way engines are installed in some machines!

Most companies think of the front of an engine is the end away from the flywheel and the right and left of the engine as if you were standing at the flywheel end and looking towards the opposite end. So with most rear engine installations the "front" of the engine the at the rear of the machine and the right side of the engine is on the left side of the machine. Clear as mud huh?

I say "most" as if you are ever lucky enough to work on a Cummins VT1710 V-12 engine you will find the left bank of the engine is on what 99% of the world would think is the right side of the engine! Try doing a tune-up on one of them at 2:30 AM after starting work at 7:00 AM that same day! BTDT!

Joel59

Thanks a million! Now it makes sense why I got the wrong balancer shaft!!!!