• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 914G exhaust smell

Mcat914g

Hi guys

Feels like i am getting an exhaust/diesel smell in the cabin while driving/operating. Where to look and what to see for?? Any help?

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Blow all around the top of the valve cover first with compressed air. Then put on a good mask and spray half a can of brake kleen all over the area and blow off with lots of high pressure air. Did one of these and replaced the valve cover gasket, and seem to recall there is some kind of vent hose on end opposite the Alternator on exterior side of engine. Maybe post your Machine serial number, and maybe someone with Cat SIS will chime in. Often leaks from around valve cover or on the back side below the turbo is a common leak area. Have a close look and maybe you find the leak area that probably puts oil on the manifold and smokes.
Simon C

Eric7300

Hi guys

Feels like i am getting an exhaust/diesel smell in the cabin while driving/operating. Where to look and what to see for?? Any help?
Possibly exhaust manifold leak. Look for black soot in engine bay. I have a It 28G and is the wind blows the right way I will get a smell