• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 910 Wheel Loader. Drive problem

dick180641

Occupation
retired
I've a pretty old 910 loader (80U2873). When I start up, I've got reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. after a short time (2 or 3 mins or a few gear changes) I lose ALL drive.
I've replaced all 'O' rings in the Transmission (Tx) Oil Pump suction line, I've checked the Left side "Tx Disconnect Brake pedal". Tx oil level is correct. Oil pump puts out heaps of oil. I noticed that the "modulating relief valve" and the "load piston" (and the cylinders that they operate in, in the oil pump housing) seemed a bit 'glazed', and with a bit of a "wear lip" so I removed the glaze and most of the lip (from both pistons and cylinders) with very fine emery wet/dry, this then gave me about 30/45 mins of usage with the old girl before drive ceased once again.
I found that I could 'creep' back home (bout 200 metres/2300 yds) in first gear at an idle, any revs, drive stopped.
Hope one of you forum members can point me in the right direction. Its my first effort at using the forum so please bear with me if I stuff up the system....
Many thanks
**** R

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Did you take out the suction screen and clean it and wash it out? It sounds like you may have more control valve problems if cleaning the relief and load piston helped. It may take some more polishing to get them moving better.

dick180641

Occupation
retired
Hey there "Mobiltech" many thanks for your suggestions, I did clean the suction screen, all good. BUT I'm sure that the relief and load piston's cylinders still need a bit of a polish. I'm off to Brisbane on Monday (hospital) and maybe away for up to 6 or 7 weeks. I'll have a good go at the old girl when I get back. Thanks again, you look after yourself, mate, cheers