• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 740 offroad dump

DaveVB

Occupation
Maintenance Tech at Private Bible College
I watched this dump for a half hour yesterday trying to get out of a sort wet clay hole. The problem was his right tire was in the hole and it wouldn't spin! None of the right side tires would spin unless the dozer was trying to help and lifted the rear end up.
He had a D8 or 9 working around him trying to move the mud and make it so he could be pushed out, but all the dozer would do is push up not forward. I have to assume the left side was spinning but couldn't tell from where I was.
My question is don't they have diff lock?
They finally brought a D9 pulling a scraper over with a huge tow rope hooked behind. But then I had to leave and didn't see the actual yank. Pictures are forthcoming, after I get them developed.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I watched this dump for a half hour yesterday trying to get out of a sort wet clay hole. The problem was his right tire was in the hole and it wouldn't spin! None of the right side tires would spin unless the dozer was trying to help and lifted the rear end up.
He had a D8 or 9 working around him trying to move the mud and make it so he could be pushed out, but all the dozer would do is push up not forward. I have to assume the left side was spinning but couldn't tell from where I was.
My question is don't they have diff lock?
They finally brought a D9 pulling a scraper over with a huge tow rope hooked behind. But then I had to leave and didn't see the actual yank. Pictures are forthcoming, after I get them developed.

Looking forward to the photos, but I have to agree, it doesn't souind like the truck should have gotten stuck, the diff locks should have helped pull it out by itself, maybe the locks failed on it? even so I would think the 8 should have been able to push it out. Who knows.:confused:

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
You should be able to lock the front wheels together, and the back "tandems" together, or with both on all six together. Apparently either he didn't know how to turn them on (could have been a new guy or a fill in and was never shown all the buttons) or they didn't work.

We call them "wiggle wagons" around here. You get stuck, pop your difflocks and wiggle a little bit and out you come!