• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 725 Service Brake Pin Spacing

Hunter013

Occupation
Head Floor Sweeper
Caterpillar 725 s/n: B1L00199

Just did bearings and seals on the driver side front final drive. Decided to do brake pads and rotor also. Put everything back together and I’m curious if there is a procedure or measurement for how far the pins (that hold the pads in place) should be from the rotor. I’ll attach a breakdown for clarification on the parts.

ahart

I checked a couple different machines that use that caliper assembly and it doesn’t specify a measurement for the distance between those pins and the rotor. Here is the best info it gives.

Install pins (5) in the caliper in order to secure the brake carriers in the brake caliper. Tighten bolts (4) that secure pins (5).
upload_2022-12-22_20-22-45.jpeg

Hunter013

Occupation
Head Floor Sweeper
Would you suggest I just push the pins in till their flush with the caliper on the outside?

Cmark

Remove the bolts (4) and look down the hole. You will see a relief machined in the pin. Center the relief in the hole.
This is from my experience, not a Cat spec.
By the way, did you remove the pins and clean them? It's a good idea to do this and apply antiseize.