• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 637D

Heppner

Hi all. I’m looking at a couple 637d’s. Wondering what the negatives are. Good machines bad machines? Thanks in advance for the advice.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I never ran one, but a company I drove piling for lots of years ago, had a fleet of them. They worked them damn hard, 2 shifts at times, for a lot of years. That being said their lead mechanic had worked as a Cat Dealer mechanic for many years before he got fed up with the system and left for the private contractor. He knew his stuff and was super pro active on preventative maintenance.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've been around some 27's and 37's. They're good machines based on my experience. Pretty simple overall and not hard to work on. Dang tires will cost you both arms and legs so make sure they're good on tread and not too old!

Working together in good conditions they'll move a lot of earth! Don't forget to consider hauling them, not sure what you have for haul trucks etc. Some guys add iron and then realize because they have to hire out hauling it eats profit. Food for thought.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I guess one big question is whether they still have the original model engines (3408 mechanical front, 3306 rear) in them or if they have been upgraded to "Emissions" engines. That would be a 3408HEUI or a C-15 in the front or a C-9 in the rear. I'd be more sceptical of them if they had been repowered, the original engines were pretty well bullet-proof and infintely rebuildable.