• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 615 2

Brut

Hi all, really struggling with a 2000 model 615, the company I'm working for has 2 of them the same, the one I drive the most doesn't lock up in 4,5,6, like the other one, just had the converter done up (which made it better but still lacking) was told something about revs maybe not getting there, another about solenoids (somewhere) no-one really gives any solid evidence as to what it might be, just pisses me off when people drive around you like your a learning (which I sort of am) any advice from someone who might know would be great cheers

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
first off WHAT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER?
why was the convertor changed ? performance, contamination ,or some other reason?
are you new to this machine ,is there any history ,has a previous operator complained
Mark

Brut

first off WHAT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER?
why was the convertor changed ? performance, contamination ,or some other reason?
are you new to this machine ,is there any history ,has a previous operator complained
Mark
Hi mark, can't get the serial number at the moment, converter was done up by one of the employees at work, think it was performance was the only reason, (no testing done contamination etc) everyone who has driven this machine says it's pathetic compared to the other 615 which is exactly the same model, Cat experts can't work it out, any thoughts on this mate

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi Brut, fist off do the basics check that the fuel pressure is good and that the accelerator is getting full travel
check to see if the machine is fitted with the correct tyres also. I have seen larger tyres fitted and performance suffers
next perform a stall test between the two machines to get a comparison of what's going on
to do that put a load in the bowl. Move machine to a clear and secure area securely chock all wheels, place the bowl on the ground, apply service brakes. allow machine to reach operating temperature .place the gear selector in fourth gear and accelerate to high idle. Hold at this position just long enough for engine speed to stabilize. Any longer and the transmission can over heat
record the speed at this point
Mark

Brut

hi Brut, fist off do the basics check that the fuel pressure is good and that the accelerator is getting full travel
check to see if the machine is fitted with the correct tyres also. I have seen larger tyres fitted and performance suffers
next perform a stall test between the two machines to get a comparison of what's going on
to do that put a load in the bowl. Move machine to a clear and secure area securely chock all wheels, place the bowl on the ground, apply service brakes. allow machine to reach operating temperature .place the gear selector in fourth gear and accelerate to high idle. Hold at this position just long enough for engine speed to stabilize. Any longer and the transmission can over heat
record the speed at this point
Mark
Thanks mark, I'll kick these ideas around at work, no one seems to care to much because they don't drive it very often lol

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
Mark250 mentioned checking accelerator for full travel. Had a scraper, 633, behaving like yours. The boss reached in to the governor while I had the pedal fully depressed and was able to move the linkage gaining several hundred rpm. They adjusted that and good as new. Sometimes dirt gets under the pedals also.

Vetech63

Like Mark said, a stall speed check will tell you a lot about not only your engine, but your power train.