• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 551 and Prentice 2590 fellerbuncher

RJE

i was looking on the internet for forestry equipment and came across these pics of a Cat buncher and Prentice buncher. the pictures look to me to be the same machine, in the same position, grabbing the same trees. i am assuming one of the pics has been redone with photoshop. i find it funny and i guess thats just CAT trying to save money in advertising :confused: lol

Attachments

• prentice buncher (Small).JPG
    prentice buncher (Small).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 958
  • cat buncher (Small).JPG
    cat buncher (Small).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,859

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
May be A Cat loks better painted red So if it beaks down everyone wont know its another broken down Cat

hvy 1ton

Hmm, that's odd. You'd think they would atleast use different pictures even if they were going to apply a digital paint job.

Last edited:

RJE

heres a few more pics of the CAT/Prentice machine. these are from the brochures of both the 551 and the 2590. the pic of the cat is blurry from resizing, i'm sure it is the prentice that got the digital paintjob.

Attachments

• cat house open (Small).JPG
    cat house open (Small).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,108
  • prentice house open (Small).JPG
    prentice house open (Small).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 984

RJE

it appears that there is more than just the 551/2590 that are like this. i found these as well!!

Attachments

• cat zts (Small).JPG
    cat zts (Small).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 861
  • prentice zts (Small).JPG
    prentice zts (Small).JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 824

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
If I'm not mistaken, Caterpillar aquired the Blount /Prentice company in about 2006 or 2007. I had forgoten that till you posted these pics, but remember now cause a buddy of mine was running a Prentice buncher and all of a sudden had to go to Cat to get parts.
Basiclly a Prentice buncher is just a Cat painted red, or vice versa. I wonder if the Prentice is cheaper to buy?

hvy 1ton

The funny part is they didn't bother to repaint any red until after they took all the brochure pics.