• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 426B only reverse, no forward gears.

We have a cat 1990 Caterpillar 426B Backhoe. About six months ago we could not drive it in the forward gears, it would only drive in reverse. We have since dropped the transmission and replaced all of the reverse and forward clutches and clutch basket as well as bearings and the races. We replaced both solenoids. We reinstalled the transmission and we still only have reverse working. When we do place the transmission selector into forward it tries to move slightly forward then stops. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ahart

Have you put gauges on transmission pump pressure and forward clutch pressure ports? Do you have a manual for testing and adjusting?

We have the maintenance manual and parts manuals. We do not have the shop manual for testing and adjusting pressures.

ahart

Post serial number so I can be sure I’m attaching the correct information for your machine.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I’m not sure what that year has for a forward neutral reverse shift control but I have seen the contacts in some get dirty and not send the power to the shift coils.

ahart

Here’s a testing and adjusting guide for the powertrain.

Attachments

• 426B Transmissiom T:A .pdf
    494.5 KB · Views: 11