• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 420D purchase

TXGeoSolarPro

I've been a Deere owner from day one and have been looking for a 310G to replace my 310D. I happened to spot a 420D for sale by owner yesterday for what seemed to be a decent price. The owner is asking $24. The 310G owner is also asking for $24. Both are open cab, 4WD and under 3K hours, no extenda-hoe. Both are owner operated machines. Machine will be used for digging some horizontal loop fields ~ 6-8 ft.depth and header trenches when we use the directional drill. They both look like fine machines, just wonder if anyone who has run both can give an opinion on cost of operation, maintenance and any common problems.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Haven't run the Deere, but I love our 420D. Got it with 3,000 hours, has 4,100 now. Had to do a turbo at around 3,600, but we had not been letting it cool down so that was our fault. The swing cylinders are starting to leak now and other than a blown hose, I can't think of any other major problems. A few switches are starting to act up, but I'm guessing the dust gets them all eventually.

It's a beast for digging though. The backhoe digging forces are stability limited, so you can fill the front with dirt and lift more farther out. The joysticks are great too, it's fun to just blow through the dirt with your feet crossed out the back with nothing in the way. It loads truck very well and doesn't seem to be too bad on fuel either.

I've heard some guys that had big problems, like breaking the loaders arms off, but can't imagine how that happens. We've pushed some monster trees over and dug some pretty big rocks out with no trouble at all. As long as your dealer is any good, either one will be good.

The 420D is a heavy machine though, so if you plan on playing in the mud often I would steer away. We've made a real mess a few times with it.