• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 420D - Pulling Diagnostic Codes?

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
With the help of a fellow HEF member, I received a CAT PDF file called "Diagnostic Codes." The written procedure in this PDF calls for two items: a Diagnostic Indicator and an "ET."

Pulling diagnostic codes from a piece of heavy equipment is a new thing for me, so I'd like to ask the 420D folks if they have any experience in this regard? Can the codes be pulled with only the Diagnostic Indicator or is a CAT ET actually required?

DISCLOSURE: Quite honestly, I had to look up what a CAT "ET" is, and my findings are that it's an adapter that allows one to interface a PC laptop with the ECM on a CAT machine. Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

Thank you for your time ~ HL

Tyler d4c

ET is the program on the lap top.
The com adaptor is the interface so to say.
A 420d I don't believe there's a way to pull codes without a laptop.
If you happen to be close to me I'd gladly pull codes for you.

andre876

Very interested in this as well. Where can we get a com adaptor to buy that works without breaking the bank?

Tyler d4c

I got my laptop and adapter for 600ish off ebay then down loaded et if you have questions on that pm me and ill tell ya the info that I know or you can ask your dealer but thats about 2000 a year. A new adapter for cat is 800 ish

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
ET is the program on the lap top.
The com adaptor is the interface so to say.
A 420d I don't believe there's a way to pull codes without a laptop.
If you happen to be close to me I'd gladly pull codes for you.
It looks like you're about 7.5 hours away from our 420D, Tyler. Even if you were closer, I don't know how I would get the machine to you. Thanks for the offer, anyway. :D

EDIT: I don't know why I didn't ask you this before, but would you mind giving me a photo of the interface device you use for pulling CAT codes. I'd also appreciate any part numbers or model numbers you may be willing to share. Thank you.

Last edited:

Tyler d4c

This is the one I'm currently using will work fine for you d model. Be warned you can go in and mess stuff up in the ecm if you get to click happy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211119-062323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-062323_Chrome.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 14

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Thank you, Tyler. Do you happen to have a CAT part number you can share?

Have you done a search for CAT ET? The search comes back to me with either a full kit or software alone. I’ve also noticed that the kits seem to start with a year, like “2019C,” for example. In this case, I’m guessing that the year means that the kit was put together for CAT machinery up to 2019, but that’s only a guess.

The prices for these kits vary; hence, the question. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again ~ HL

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If it is done officially[1} a working version of ET will comprise 3 elements.......
1. ET Software loaded on a laptop.
"2019C" in your post above for example refers to the year it was produced and what version it was. 2019A would have been the first, followed by 2019B. You don't necesarily need the last word in ET software even to work on a 2021 machine (but it might help).
2. Annual software subscription. When first licensed a 365-day countdown clock starts. When it gets to zero the software deactivates and needs the licence fee to be paid before the dealer will reactivate it.
3. A Communication Adapter (hardware) to connect the USB port on the laptop to the 9-pin Diagnostic Connector on the machine. This enables the laptop to "talk" to the machine.

Items 1 & 3 would both be one-off costs, Item 2 will be a recurring annual cost. Added together they do not come cheap.

[1} - *Other non-official options are also available.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Yeah, that reminds me of so-called "business software." A lot of money for not a lot of use...and that whole "subscription" business, I won't even get into what I think about that racket.

So, at this point, it's looking like I won't be getting any codes pulled any time soon. We're nearly a 100 miles from our usual CAT dealer and, at present, I have no way to move the machine that far.

Cheers for the information, regardless. :)