• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 420D Not Starting

CATinLiberia

Occupation
Missionary and Community Development
I have a CAT 420D that exhibits an intermittent condition where the engine will not crank. I think I've traced it down to the forward/reverse selector switch on the steering column. When I disassembled the switch, it appears that the electronic half of the assemble is a sealed unit that uses a small magnet to actuate the switch. We are just finishing our 6-month rainy season and it appears that some moisture has infiltrated the unit.

So here's the challenge: I live in Liberia, West Africa. Because the only CAT dealer is insanely expensive and carries no parts for my backhoes, ALL parts have to be shipped to me from the U.S. Is there any way that I can repair this unit and reseal it? Does anyone have experience with this type of repair?

THANKS!

Eric

Lee-online

The directional levers are known to go bad. Cat came out with a new and improved one. I have always replaced them with a new one but you could try and take it apart, just dont break it or you are SOL until you get a new one. You could pull the 2 start circuit wires out of the plug and wire them to another neutral safety switch you add. If you just jumper them out it will start in gear, Very bad idea.

CATinLiberia

Occupation
Thanks Lee. Off hand, do you know the colors or circuit numbers of the 2 start circuit wires. Using my multi-meter, I was able to discover that the hot input wire was #1 on the directional lever plug, but couldn't make heads or tales of the remaining wires.

Thanks!

BTW, if it helps, here are the PIN #'s for my backhoes:

CAT 416D – PIN # CAT0416DABFP14642
CAT 420D – PIN # CAT0420DAFDP26886
CAT 420D – PIN # CAT0420DCFDP23847

CATinLiberia

Occupation
Picker4- Thanks for the advice.. everything in that area checked out fine. It looks like I am back to the directional switch being the problem.