• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 420D Not Shutting Off

CATinLiberia

Occupation
Missionary and Community Development
I have two CAT 420D machines exhibiting the same issue: When I turn the key switch off, both continue to run-on at a slow RPM. To kill the engine, I either have to actuate a hydraulic valve or turn the key back on.

A local electrician told me it is either a dirty/defective solenoid that kills the engine or a defective key switch. As a rule, I will trust Satan before I trust electricians in this country. Because I have to ship all parts to Liberia from the U.S., I want to be certain the cause before shipping replacement parts. Even better, it would be great if I can fix it myself on this side of the pond!

Any thought?

Eric

CATinLiberia

Occupation
BTW, if it helps, here are the PIN #'s for my backhoes:

CAT 416D – PIN # CAT0416DABFP14642
CAT 420D – PIN # CAT0420DAFDP26886
CAT 420D – PIN # CAT0420DCFDP23847

Thanks!

kbeen

Can you try un-hooking the wire that goes to the shutoff solenoid and see if it dies then, if it does then take a voltage meter if you have one and see if you still have power on the wire that goes to the shutoff solenoid when the key is off.

CATinLiberia

Occupation
kbeen- Thanks for the advice. I will check that out and get back with you.

BTW, where are you at in OK? My backhoes shipped from Fairview.