• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416c pressure test

jmtrackworks

Occupation
Owner/Operater; Martins Track Works
Can anyone tell me how to do a pressure test on the transmission of my Cat 416c tlb? Also, what should the correct pressure reading be?

Thanks!

Lee-online

You will need a pressure tap because they are not on the transmission, just plugs. you can remove one from the hyd pump if you don't have one.

You will need to remove the access plate in the floor.

pressure taps..jpg

(A) Pressure tap for pump pressure. (B) Pressure tap location for lube pressure. (C) Pressure tap location for clutch 1 pressure. (D) Pressure tap location for the clutch 2 pressure. (E) Pressure tap location for the forward low pressure. (F) Pressure tap location for forward high pressure. (G) Pressure tap location for clutch 3 pressure. (H) Pressure tap location for the all-wheel drive clutch pressure. (J) Pressure tap location for the reverse clutch pressure.

1. At pressure tap (A), use a coupler and connect a pressure gauge [4000 kPa (600 psi)] to the nipple.

2. Place the direction conrtol lever in the NEUTRAL position.

3. With the parking brake engaged, start and run the engine at LOW IDLE rpm.

4. Shift the direction control lever into the FORWARD position and with the speed shift lever in NEUTRAL, run the engine at HIGH IDLE rpm. The pressure on the gauge must be 1450 ± 100 kPa (210 ± 15 psi).

5. When this test is complete, reduce engine speed

3. At pressure tap (F), (E), (C), (D), (G) AND (J) connect a pressure gauge [4000 kPa (600 psi)] to the hose group.

4. At pressure tap (B) connect a pressure gauge [400 kPa (60 psi)] to the hose group.

5. Start and run the engine at LOW IDLE speed.

6. With the transmission gear shift lever in NEUTRAL, shift the direction control lever to 1st speed FORWARD. The pressure on the forward low clutch gauge must be 1325 ± 225 kPa (190 ± 30 psi). The pressure on the clutch 1 gauge must be 1375 ± 225 kPa (200 ± 30 psi). The lubrication gauge must be 50 ± 25 kPa (10 ± 5 psi).

7. Shift the direction control lever to 2nd speed forward. The pressure on the forward high clutch must be 1325 ± 225 kPa (205 ± 30 psi). The pressure on the clutch 1 gauge must be 1375 ± 225 kPa (200 ± 30 psi).

8. Shift the direction control lever to 3rd speed forward. The pressure on the forward low clutch must be 1325 ± 225 kPa (205 ± 30 psi). The pressure on the clutch 2 gauge must be 1475 ± 225 kPa (215 ± 30 psi).

9. Now shift the direction control lever to 3rd speed REVERSE. The reverse clutch pressure must be 1325 ± 225 kPa (190 ± 30 psi). The pressure on the clutch 3 gauge must be 1475 ± 225 kPa (215 ± 30 psi).

Pedu234

Nice post, i have a problem i kind a skip test on single clutches becouse my problem occurs in any gear so i just tap on the pump, most of the time te problem appears at normal operating temperatures on neutral maintain all time 210+ psi switch to ANy GEAR manual or automatic shift pressure still on 200+ after a little driving 8 , 10 sometimes 15 seconds pressure start dropping if is a hill pressure drops quickly it could shitf down but pressure drops even quicker, on flat land or down hill takes longer but at the end is 0, no gear goes in, shut off the engine and start back to pressure 200+, and the problem repeats, can my traning oil is to thin? Loose pressure when really got hotter, i dont think the pump is bad shut off and every thing gos back to normal... any ideas?