• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416C hydraulic leak, solutions?

rutwad

My Cat 416C outrigger cylinder has a bad leak. I thought I could chain up the outrigger and continue to use the FEL without losing any more hydraulic fluid, but that's not the case. The cylinder is leaking constantly. Can I plug both hydraulic lines going to the cylinder and use the FEL without any issues?

If so, what could I use to plug the lines?

Thanks in advance.

Tinkerer

If the control lever is in neutral, the cylinder should quit leaking after the chain is holding it up.
To answer your question--- yes you can use the fel with the lines plugged.
Any hydraulic shop will have the correct caps to put on the lines.
I would suggest that you take the cylinder with you when you get the caps/plugs.

rutwad

If the control lever is in neutral, the cylinder should quit leaking after the chain is holding it up.
To answer your question--- yes you can use the fel with the lines plugged.
Any hydraulic shop will have the correct caps to put on the lines.
I would suggest that you take the cylinder with you when you get the caps/plugs.
I thought it would stop leaking too. Not sure why is still leaking.

Any chance somebody knows the size plugs I need so I don't have to take off the hose to take with me?

I hope to get the cylinder rebuilt, but my last attempt at getting it off failed. The pin holding it is froze up. Hopefully I can tackle it soon with better luck.

ahart

I looked through the parts book and it looks to me that everything for the outrigger hoses is -8 ORFS. Should be able to verify this if a 15/16” wrench fits the hose. You can buy a whole cap/plug kit from Amazon or eBay fairly reasonably and all sizes will come in handy in the future for you. Hopefully this helps.

rutwad

I looked through the parts book and it looks to me that everything for the outrigger hoses is -8 ORFS. Should be able to verify this if a 15/16” wrench fits the hose. You can buy a whole cap/plug kit from Amazon or eBay fairly reasonably and all sizes will come in handy in the future for you. Hopefully this helps.
Thanks, that helps a lot!