• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416c four wheel drive problems

AT&SW

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
I have a cat 416c with what I believe is an electrical issue. The four wheel drive has been intermittently not working go to start messing with and and starts again. At this point I have 12.4 volts to the solenoid on the transfer case. The other wire, is it supposed to be ground/return? At this time the second wire is dead. Also there is exposed wire were they go into the solenoid. How do you remove the solenoid? There is only one large nut on the back of it.

jmtrackworks

Occupation
Owner/Operater; Martins Track Works
I have a 416c and the 4wd stopped working completely. Come to find out the fuse behind the steering column was blown. Doubt that's your problem though since it works intermittently.

Lee-online

The other wire is a ground and attach's to a bellhousing bolt at the upper right area.

To remove the coil from the solenoid remove the nut and the coil should slide off.

The coil gets power from the AWD select switch and that gets it from fuse #10. The coil should be 10.5 ohms.

AT&SW

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
Thank you Lee-online bad ground. Tractor is back making money.