• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 416C Block Heater

james van dyk

Have a 416C cat that i wish to put a block heater in. i have seen threads for replacing a 416B block heater, which is on the left hand side of the engine behind injector pump with screw in port. 416C calls for placing it in freeze plug on right side of engine. the recommended position is upper center freeze plug, which is behind intake manifold. placement would necessitate removal of intake and likely exhaust manifold and all connections. i see 5 other freeze plugs on the right side that are lower, does anyone know if any of them, specifically which one, go into the water jacket and whether i can use one of them? i really don't wish to knock them all out to find none of them are in the water jacket. thanks for any help.

james van dyk

you are right. instructions with mine said to place in upper front freeze plug behind intake manifold, which is impossible to get to w/o removing everything. made no sense, esp. since i had replaced one on a JCB w/ same engine, which is made by Perkins, and did not do that. but couldn't for the life of me remember which plug it was, as there are 7 of them on right side and some are dry holes into oil galley. funny thing is, the parts manual, also cat, diagram appears to show it in an entirely different position, apparently in the upper freeze plug. imagine that. but thanks for the help, i surely do appreciate it. i will pop out the lower one and let you know what i find. thanks again.

james van dyk

Definitive answer where to place block heater on 416C backhoe: machine right side, front lowest freeze plug, which lines up with turbo center. this is the lowest and frontmost of the 7 plugs located on this side of block. this is the position shown above in the first diagram posted by HEYMCCALL. this is what cat SERVICE manual shows. second diagram, middle row freeze plug, from PARTS manual, is an incorrect location. i popped out that freeze plug to see if it would be suitable and it was a dry hole into the oil galley. top row front freeze plug, which were included in block heater instructions as the area of placement may also be correct, but it would entail removing intake and exhaust manifolds to gain access, so i did not remove a plug there to inspect. thanks HEYMCCALL for your help and diagrams.