• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 414e skip loaders/landscape loaders...really that bad?

tnc110

I've read a couple reviews saying the cat 414e is terrible to finish grade with. Is this really true? I would be using it to load 95%, grade 5%. And the grading would be long driveways and roads.

Delmer

Grading can also mean landscaping dirt grading, that might be what some people meant in the other thread. I'm a rank amateur when it comes to dirt work. I don't see how anybody could finish grade a long driveway with a skip loader effectively? The way a loader bucket and box blade moves with the wheels makes washboards worse, where the long wheel base of a grader smooths naturally. Something like the wheeled grader attachment in the other thread is the only way I would want to grade with a loader if I was expecting it to look decent.

tnc110

Grading can also mean landscaping dirt grading, that might be what some people meant in the other thread. I'm a rank amateur when it comes to dirt work. I don't see how anybody could finish grade a long driveway with a skip loader effectively? The way a loader bucket and box blade moves with the wheels makes washboards worse, where the long wheel base of a grader smooths naturally. Something like the wheeled grader attachment in the other thread is the only way I would want to grade with a loader if I was expecting it to look decent.

I've never used a skip loader before but I've got to believe it is very similar to using a box blade behind a tractor, which works very good for grading roads. I have a road plane to do the large sections of road. The skip loader would be used just to get pitch right and for smaller jobs which would usually be fresh stone, not washboardEd.

On heavy washboard sections, I wonder if light pressure of the bucket would help keep the skip from bucking.

Hazcat

Grading with a skip loader (not to be confused with a skid loader) is pretty easy. I Have a cat 416d ll (landscape loader) I use it regularly for driveway maintenance and putting in building pads. I have a 4 in 1 on the front and a Gannon box on the back. Having hydraulic tilt and top link and rippers on the box is a gift from God.

I never have had the need to use the front bucket to help when using the box. The box has 2 edges on the back wall and with the power top link you can ride on either edge to keep the working edge where you want it.

The 414 I believe has shorter 3pt arms to bring the box closer the the rear tires to get more down force on the box. I think they moved the diff lock and a couple of other minor controls to make it easier to use.

for gravel road maintenance and repair the skip loader is king. Ok maybe prince behind a road grader.

hammertime

Its big, too big for most ranch and lot work. Site by me had a 414e and a week later a deere 210 replaced it. i think they made a serious heavy duty skip. i can see the points on a grader instead of a skip. cant beat the prices for them lately.
tilt the gannon back somewhat throw it into float and it straightens dirt out pretty good.
i also second that washboarding affect, low tire pressure really brings this tendency out as well. gannon likes to swing and rock more. gannons love the hard packed clays

Plongson

I used several small rental skip loaders before I bought the JD210LE and they essentially were not worth squat for tending road. They were too light and no down force on the box...

I have a 1/4 mile from the house and then 1 mile to the main road that only sees attention when I get on it, the 210 is simply amazing for me and does a wonderful job. What is an absolute God send is the FLOAT feature on the box, it allows me to really smooth things out and it does remove the washboards. Without float, I never had a chance. A full featured box is essential though.

There is no replacement for a grader but for me the setup I have works great. Considering all the other chores I put this machine in, it's very multipurpose...I can't imagine how we got along without it.

I can grade with a loader, but cannot load with a grader...LOL

Welder Dave

I think every 3 pt. hitch made has float position and a few industrial tractors have down pressure.

Plongson

I have no idea how the float function operates hydraulically or even mechanically, but it does not just skip along in float. It appears it still has substantial hydraulic down force but does not follow the tractor's oscillation fore and aft...pretty much follows the ground. Pitch in the forward cutting edge a bit, and it cuts the top right washboard.