• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 345BL with 1 grouser pads

sultan

I'm a bit curious - what is the purpose behind putting single grousers on an excavator? They'd rip up the ground a lot more than doubles or triples, and you generally don't need the traction and bite of a dozer undercarriage on an excavator.

WoodBoy

I'm a bit curious - what is the purpose behind putting single grousers on an excavator? They'd rip up the ground a lot more than doubles or triples, and you generally don't need the traction and bite of a dozer undercarriage on an excavator.

Maybe the soil is soft in areas or semi steep inclines and he doesnt have the attachment of a bucket to help pull him up? :beatsme

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator

It does look kind of unusual in an urban scene like that. But for situations like a long pipeline that goes across varied terrain, like up and down steep slopes, mud, across streams, it could be helpful. And equipment might be spread out over several miles on a pipeline, if the hoe can't climb a steep hill, there will not always be a winch cat nearby to tow it up the hill. One other thing I can think of, although I never ran a trackhoe with grousers like that, I wonder if it would be better for working on mats? Maybe it would slide less?

Last edited:

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Like said before, maybe they use this excavator on slopes and the extra grip helps!

Or heres a thought, maybe they had an old set of dozer tracks laying about and decided to get that last bit of life out of them!!

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Man I wish my 345 had singles like that. Sure would be nice rather then the ice skate triples.