• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 345BL slow Dipper Stick slow Retract Motion

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
Depending on where you swap the hoses at you might have a bad hose on the inside. May have swallowed it's tongue. You sure have a good one there! Will be interested in what you find.

gannaly

Depending on where you swap the hoses at you might have a bad hose on the inside. May have swallowed it's tongue. You sure have a good one there! Will be interested in what you find.

We swapped the hoses on cylinder end. Hoses have been checked separately, both of them are good, no obstruction inside.

overworked

I think you are not getting both pumps to upstroke when swinging stick out. Its fast when gravity is helping bucket away from cab but when you go over center only one pump is filling cyl.

gannaly

Gents,
We have checked the regeneration valve, all the seals were extremely damaged, no sealing function was in place. I will post the pics tomorrow.
Thanks Per, we are not 100% sure yet but looks like this is the root cause for the issue. After installing redressed regen valve and cylinder, we will check the machine functionality and update this thread.
By the way, we saw that there were some tiny metal particles inside the valve, does these metals make the seals worn out? and is there a best practical way to clean the whole hydraulics system from these particles?

Per Eriksson

I don't think it's related.

Replace filters, make sure tank is clean and if you have one, run a kidney loop.

tctractors

gannaly, the regeneration valve is common to be called the recycleing valve (spelling ???) in the U.K. it is a bit of a pig to strip out due to the oil dripping all over you as things come loose, credit to Per Eriksson for chiming in at the start pointing you to this valve that often thows up some very odd antics with the front end activity, anyhow things should be better now with a few penny 0 rings etc stuffed on to the shiny bit with groves, to do a half good job on the hydraulic tank and oil clean up, I use my kidney pump to pump out the hydo oil into clean barrels or I.B.C. container, then do all the filter and tank cleaning dutys, finaly pumping the oil back into the tank useing the kidney pump, so the oil has been filtered out and then back into the tank so things start off from a good point, oh and just a point, the spool springs are under the top cap, remove this cap and the spools lifts out,

tctractors

gannaly

We have tested the machine after installing the regen back with o-rings dressed. Unfortunately, issue has not been solved yet. Old o-rings on regen valve were completely worn out, there was no any o-ring in place but only tiny hardened o-ring particles instead. That's why, may these old o-ring particles spread over in a hydraulics system blocking the flow to the stick? If yes, where should be the first place to be checked?

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
You would want to start by tracking the lines down stream from the regen valve,and anything going to the slow moving cylinder.Had this happen on a trencher and the hydraulic tank was full of packings and the suction screen was covered with packing restricting the flow.The hydraulics run hot because of this.Good luck.

gannaly

Sorry guys. Due to the weather condition, we are currently stand by. We will update once we again start trobleshooting.
Yes, it does track straight, no problems with tracking. We are planning to check 2nd pump's connecting spool for stick.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I have seen a lot of the regen valves fail. There was a service letter on them from Cat for the 345. Rather than resealing I would replace both. They will seal ok with no load but when loaded they leak which shows up after the downward travel of the stick.
I can't explain why swapping hoses didn't work but the regen valves do connect both ports in regen mode.

When you had the cylinder apart did you pull the nylon seal out on the piston and check the oring underneath it. Sometimes that oring can fail without showing signs on the outer nylon seal.

Last edited:

Bob/Ont

If what you tell me about swapping lines and the problem staying the same is correct, I will repeat myself once more. " Check the Cylinder or get it rebuilt" you are missing something.
Later Bob