• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3406C engine Code 23

Norcal wrench530

Occupation
Independent Equipment Mechanic
Working on a 1993 Kenworth with a 3406C, having power loss issues intermittently, runs like a raped ape then feels like its got 50horses to quote the customer. Im not too familiar with this older system I did however find that Code 23 is related to the timing position sensor if what I found is correct?, now what i'm after is are there any ways to test this sensor and if necessary replace it? I did stumble upon that it looks like the old ECAP machine is required to calibrate sensor position. hoping you CAT guys out there might have a trick or two to throw my way. thanks!

Truck Shop

3406C--On the left of the front structure is a cone shaped cover it should have a harness
running to it IIRC. Inside is the advance mechanism for the fuel system. There is a plastic
arm IIRC that can break, when it does it's a low power issue. This system is also controlled
by oil pressure IIRC. Last of these I worked on was 1998.

Norcal wrench530

Occupation
Independent Equipment Mechanic
Update: got hands on the front of the engine and found that previous mechanic pinched the 5 wire harness under the cone shaped cover. The sensor power wires were grounding out on the timing cover.