• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3406 engine horse power

JDOFMEMI

My 2000 3406E rated at 550 hp was turned up to superman strong when we got the truck. I don't know what it was set up to, as we never dynoed it, but it could haul a D-8R, at 126,000 lb gross, up a 6% grade at 55+. After running it a few years like that with hired drivers, we had to have the top end worked on, and made the mistake of taking it to the Cat dealer. When we got it back, the driver complained, so I took it for a load, and called Cat to find out why it would barely run. Found out they flashed it back to stock. :-( Now the same pull with a D-8R is done at 35, instead of 55+, and the worst bit is that it dropped from 6+ MPG to 5- MPG :-( :-( And they refused to put it back. Seems CARB won't let them.
I suppose it will last longer now, and it is still strong, but it is nothing like before.

wilko

I know a guy with an MBN that has a PDI program, it's supposed to be good for 680 hp. I drove it and don't doubt that number at all. That thing would eat my N14 500 and not even belch.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
My 2000 3406E rated at 550 hp was turned up to superman strong when we got the truck. I don't know what it was set up to, as we never dynoed it, but it could haul a D-8R, at 126,000 lb gross, up a 6% grade at 55+. After running it a few years like that with hired drivers, we had to have the top end worked on, and made the mistake of taking it to the Cat dealer. When we got it back, the driver complained, so I took it for a load, and called Cat to find out why it would barely run. Found out they flashed it back to stock. :-( Now the same pull with a D-8R is done at 35, instead of 55+, and the worst bit is that it dropped from 6+ MPG to 5- MPG :-( :-( And they refused to put it back. Seems CARB won't let them.
I suppose it will last longer now, and it is still strong, but it is nothing like before.

unfortunately that is not the worse thing your looking at!!! Under CARB's regulation the truck only has a few years left in California before it will be outlawed due to the year of the truck!

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
unfortunately that is not the worse thing your looking at!!! Under CARB's regulation the truck only has a few years left in California before it will be outlawed due to the year of the truck!

Less than that! Especially for a 2000 model. Can buy yourself a couple more years if you take the plunge on a DPF.

barklee

So what could you turn a 425 hp up to with just a flash of the ecm?
Also, i am looking at a M-11 select+. The block is stamped 400 hp, what could that be turned up to with just the ecm?
Which of these two engines are better? The trucks are both 1999 Kenworth T-800 trucks with 10 speeds.