• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 3306 water pump

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
Our Peterbilt dump truck has a CAT 3306 engine. I'm looking at the belts and the 2 around the water pump are loose. Okay, I see 3 bolts securing the pump that allow adjustment. I don't have tool that will fit in the space. Any suggestions or tool recommendations to perform this seemingly simple operation?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any chance of a complete S/N for this 3306? Never worked on an automotive 3306 but many off road applications and they all had gear driven water pumps.

If no Serial Number how about a picture of the pump area of this engine?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I don’t know of any cat truck engine with an adjustable water pump. 3208 is a fixed belt drive as well as 3126 Neither are an adjustable pump.
The rest are gear drive.
Maybe something older?

kshansen

Occupation
I don’t know of any cat truck engine with an adjustable water pump. 3208 is a fixed belt drive as well as 3126 Neither are an adjustable pump.
The rest are gear drive.
Maybe something older?
That's is part of the reason I asked about the s/n and a picture.

Who knows someone may have painted and old NH Cummins with Cat Yellow paint to pass it off as a Cat Engine?

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
Hey, I bit the bullet and ground down a 5/8 wrench and wiggled it in. Got the belts adjusted. I'm not sure it's a water pump, more like a mount for the pulleys and fan.

kshansen

Occupation
Hey, I bit the bullet and ground down a 5/8 wrench and wiggled it in. Got the belts adjusted. I'm not sure it's a water pump, more like a mount for the pulleys and fan.
Just for fun if you can post the numbers off the engine I'll see what I can tell you about the engine.

Bluox

A 1674 truck engine has a belt driven water pump but the belts are adjusted buy the fan drive pulley.
This is a 4.75 x 6 engine same as a 3306 but has over head cams.
Bob

kshansen

Occupation
A 1674 truck engine has a belt driven water pump but the belts are adjusted buy the fan drive pulley.
This is a 4.75 x 6 engine same as a 3306 but has over head cams.
Bob
Do you know what that engine would be called if it was in an application such as a genset?

Recall rebuilding a small overhead cam six many years back. Forget the details but at first it was decided to not rebuild after it was torn apart and parts were set outside in open bins. Then several months later there was a need for small genset the size this one was. Brought the bins in the shop and actually polished up the cams and sent crank and head out to be gone through by machine shop and put it back together!

kshansen

Occupation
1674 is a D334 I think.
That does sound familiar. Tried looking on SIS and it appears to be off the good list as don't see anything.

One of the things I find strange about at least some of the old Cat models is the way they were designated. I would think a D334 would sound like a four cylinder and a D336 a six. But it appears the D334 is a six and aD336 is an eight! Guess it made sense to some one.