• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3304 engine oil cooler

Hollyrock

Hello

Can anyone tell me what the oil ports should look like on a Cat 3304 engine oil cooler? I removed the base off of mine and it looks like they are blocked with an incorrect gasket? Or perhaps this is a fine mesh, not sure?

HR

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hello

Can anyone tell me what the oil ports should look like on a Cat 3304 engine oil cooler? I removed the base off of mine and it looks like they are blocked with an incorrect gasket? Or perhaps this is a fine mesh, not sure?

HR

Never actually worked on a 3304 but many 3306 Cat engines along with a large assortment of other models. Can not recall any having some kind of a screen or mesh covering them. I's say every one you could look in the oil ports and see the tubes the coolant flows through. Can't recall for sure but seems that engine oil coolers usually had a by-pass system that jumpered from the inlet to the outlet of the oil side of the coolers with a spring loaded valve that would open to let oil by-pass the cooler when oil was cold on startup to prevent oil starvation, similar to what is in the oil filter housing.

Any chance of a S/N for engine or machine and a picture or two to better understand what you are seeing?

kshansen

Occupation
Did some digging on SIS and I'm starting to come to the idea that this engine does NOT have an oil cooler! I know in the above picture of the oil filter head it appears to be mounted to what I would think is a cooler from all the 3306 engines I have worked on but when looking in the parts breakdown on SIS it points to this "cooler" and calls it a "PIPE". I at first thought this was just a simple typo so I looked a a couple other random 3304 engines and in those this same pare is called a cooler and has a different part number including reman and Classic numbers.

Below is the parts page on this D4D from SIS:

Attachments

• D4D cooler.jpg
    D4D cooler.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 63

kshansen

Occupation
So maybe the pipe is just being used for a place to mount the oil filter base?

That is what I'm thinking, like they took the raw casting for an oil cooler and only machined the mounts with out boring the holes for the oil then left the cooler tubes out. Need to look a bit at the filter head to see if there is a difference there as blocking off the inlet and out let from the filter head would block the oil flow.

Last edited:

Cmark

I can't say I've ever come across this, but I agree with the consensus. On the right hand end of the "pipe" it looks like a blanking plate. If it is, then that's a dead giveaway that we're not looking at a cooler.

kshansen

Occupation
I can't say I've ever come across this, but I agree with the consensus. On the right hand end of the "pipe" it looks like a blanking plate. If it is, then that's a dead giveaway that we're not looking at a cooler.

Well not exactly! what looks like a plate in that image is actually part of the next part that connects to the block and the trans cooler, almost the identical thing as I'm used to on an old 966C.

Attachments

• D4D trans cooler.png
    D4D trans cooler.png
    51 KB · Views: 41