• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 330 BL problem

bushcat

Occupation
heo
I've been running a Cat 330BL Ser #6DR003098 lately and when travelling the hyd oil temp rises to the max, engine temp stays normal and cannot swing or move boom when travelling, stop travelling and other hydraulic functions work and oil temperature returns to normal operating temp.Any ideas guys, thanks in advance. I should add that it takes approximately 20 minutes of travelling for hyd oil to get hot.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Possibly straight travel valve stuck . If you work the boom or any other function while traveling the straight travel valve puts both tracks onto one pump and sends the other pump over to the functions. If you can't use other functions while traveling then that isn't happening. If the valve is stuck it can restrict travel flow and cause heating.

Bob/Ont

If the swivel is leaking you will have trouble turning with hot oil. If you still can turn with hot oil it might not be swivel.
Later Bob

bushcat

Occupation
heo
when hyd oil gets hot now I stop travelling and swing ,move bucket,boom everything works fine and after a couple of minutes the oil temp drops and I will travel again, but next time I will try travelling without the straight pedal to see if that makes any difference.thanks again

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
The straight travel valve I was referring too is not in the cab, it is part of the main control and is automatically shifted when you use a function while travelling.

Bob/Ont

Bushcat, mobiltech was referring to the straight travel(equalized travel) valve in the valve bank not the control in the cab. What I wanted you to do was travel until the oil warmed up then try to steer off to one side. If the power of one track by it's self will not move the machine then reseal the swivel.
Later Bob