• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 325 vs Deere 210 P and 250 P

Bluewave

Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
I know we have talked about sizes before, I’m at the point my 315 gc is 2 years old and out of warranty with only 88 hours on it. I was going to get a new 325 but the cat dealer is playing stupid games. John Deere came in offering me a 210 P fully loaded for 40k less and same price as the 325, 265k on a 250p. Salesman says over and over again he guarantees the 210 will have better resale over a 250 because it’s the most popular size. 50k vs 60k weight. Tree work and digging Chert for roads this year. Need to move about 4000 yards for the next project. Which way would you guys go

All have
Thumb
Quick coupler
48 and 18 inch bucket
5 year 5000 hour warranty

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would agree that a 210 will hold its value better than a 250 will. The question for me would be how much asss do you need to dig in the conditions your in and at what productivity level do you need to meet. Hard digging and high productivity would favor the higher capacity 250, even if it doesn't resale as well. If you can generally absorb taking a little longer digging with a 210 than a 250, save your sell some money on the purchase price and get more at resale, than the 210 would be my choice. There is a reason that regardless of what color it is, the 210 is a popular machine. They are capable of moving a lot material, easier to transport than a larger machine, it may not be the ideal machine for all applications, but still very capable. If the majority of your work can be done with a 210 and for those fewer times when you have to have more capacity, renting may be an option. This is the route I take, I have a long boom Link Belt 160X4, which nearly matches the reach of a 210, with a 42" bucket. When I need more capacity, I rent a 300 size machine (which doesn't happen often". Hard to own the perfect machine for every job, I think you own the size machine that can do the vast majority of what you do, and rent for everything else.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
You didn't get a standard 3 year, 3000 hour warranty on the 315? Or did you not buy new?

Bought our new 325 with 3rd medium pressure line with no bucket and manual thumb for $255K FWIW.

Put our QC off the 325FL on it and using our old buckets.

Bluewave

Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Y
You didn't get a standard 3 year, 3000 hour warranty on the 315? Or did you not buy new?

Bought our new 325 with 3rd medium pressure line with no bucket and manual thumb for $255K FWIW.

Put our QC off the 325FL on it and using our old buckets.

Yes brand new October of 2021, it has powertrain and hydraulics but not all the electronics on it. The touch screen went out and it was like $2700 to have replaced. I’m nervous about keeping it with the small electrical grimlins that it’s had.

Correct only 88 hours on it currently

Bluewave

Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Have right at 70k positive equity, using 38 to pay off my skid steer and get rid of one note and the rest on a down payment
IMG_0422.png

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Does JD offer a 3,000 hr 5 year warranty?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Yes it’s on the quote above

It says 5,000 hr or 36 months.

My Cat salesman put a 5 year 3K hour warranty on our 325 since we need time more than hours.