• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 320D will not start

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
Our CAT 320D excavator, serial# PHX01833, does not start. It displays a low oil warning. The oil level is correct. In the recent past, the machine was temperamental when starting. It had to be on level ground or no go. When shutting down, better make it level or the next time you use the machine, starting would be difficult. Now, it thinks it is out of oil?
Is the oil level sensor accessible? Am I on the right track assuming the sensor has failed or wiring defect? Are there wiring diagrams available? Thank you in advance for any advice.

heymccall

I can only assume the engine cranks.

Could the emergency shutoff switch be activated?
If you hand prime, say, 10 pumps, does it start easier?
Is the water separator filter assembled correctly (1 gasket between bowl and filter bottom, drain petcock hex flush to bowl's boss)?
How many hours on machine?
How many hours on filters?
Can you check for diagnostic codes and events?

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
I will check all those things and see what happens. I'll post results. Thank you for responding

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The electronic Monitor System on your machine is just that. It Monitors what's going on and (provided that the buzzer is working) it screams at you if something is wrong.
It is not like some of the latest all-singing, all-dancing electronic Management systems where if something critical such as oil/coolant level, oil pressure, etc, is out of spec then under certain conditions it will not allow the engine to start or will shut the machine down.