• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 320CL fuel system

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
PAB 00730. 320CL. There's a manual fuel lift pump on the side of the engine. It has what looks like a fitting that goes into the side of it that could have a screen in it. I think it's a 1 1/8 socket to get it off. Like I said its on the side of engine and closer to the bottom. There's a lift pump or primer pump on top of the engine as well but that's different. I didn't have the correct socket to get it off today. I wasntold there are screens behind or in some of the banjo fittings on this fuel system. I haven't found any yet but I wasn't able to remove the one in question like I said. Just curious if there are any other known screens or filters other than the two main fuel filters. Thanks if any one knows.

lantraxco

If there's a screen, it will a tiny one in the center of that hollow bolt number 4, believe it or not. Sometimes they suck air around the hand primer piston also.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Ok thanks. What is item 12? It's
Not sucking air but the fuel in the tank doesn't look real good I just wanted to clean the entire system. Thanks again. I may drain the tank and try to flush it out as well. I would think there's a screen of some type on the pick up in the tank IDK

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Got it out and it was pretty nasty. I'm sure I'll flow better now. Anyone know the napa number for a serpentine belt for this unit. The one on it is worn slap out. I can turn everything except the engine by hand and it's real thin

Don Wheeler

PAB 00730. 320CL. There's a manual fuel lift pump on the side of the engine. It has what looks like a fitting that goes into the side of it that could have a screen in it. I think it's a 1 1/8 socket to get it off. Like I said its on the side of engine and closer to the bottom. There's a lift pump or primer pump on top of the engine as well but that's different. I didn't have the correct socket to get it off today. I wasntold there are screens behind or in some of the banjo fittings on this fuel system. I haven't found any yet but I wasn't able to remove the one in question like I said. Just curious if there are any other known screens or filters other than the two main fuel filters. Thanks if any one knows.
Can I ask you a question about the 320cl

Don Wheeler

So it starts and runs fine but then loses power and either almost dies or does, as long as you just sit it will run all day. If you try to track or use it it will run fine for a bit and then start starving for fuel It seems. Blew air in line to tank seems to be clear. Changed all filters and same thing.

JPV

It is most likely the screen in that banjo fitting on the inlet of the lift pump that these guys are talking about. It is kind of a reach to get it out and it isn't talked about in the manual.

Don Wheeler

I am gonna look again tomorrow. I could have sworn that the inlet was not a banjo fitting but I will damn sure look again. Do thos lift pumps go bad?