• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 320C SN# EAG00641 dead monitor

Vetech63

The brand-new monitor I bought ended up being faulty. Put another on and no problem. I didn't expect to have a bad monitor, but it happens. I'll be eating a bit of troubleshooting time on this one, but the machine is up and running which is what counts. On to the next project.:)

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
For what Cat charges for parts it’s too bad they never chip in for lost time costs on faulty parts.

BigWrench55

That burns my a$$ when you a bad part. You spend all that time troubleshooting something that you just troubleshot to come to the same conclusion. But you second guess yourself because the "new part" isn't working or fixed the problem. So now you start getting into the weeds trying to figure out the new part doesn't work. :mad:

Vetech63

That burns my a$$ when you a bad part. You spend all that time troubleshooting something that you just troubleshot to come to the same conclusion. But you second guess yourself because the "new part" isn't working or fixed the problem. So now you start getting into the weeds trying to figure out the new part doesn't work. :mad:
It just goes to show you that even with years of experience something can trick you at times. I was so convinced the large welding job had caused a controller issue since the monitor was burned up. I didn't even consider the monitor could be faulty until me and Cat both couldn't find anything else. I was STILL skeptical of the new monitor until a new replacement was installed and actually worked like it's supposed to.
To give an example of how tunnel visioned I was.........I had even wired the supply and the ground for the monitor outside of the main harness and the monitor still didn't come up right. Being it was new, I ignored the obvious, big mistake on my part. I should have seen it right then and didn't.:confused:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don’t think that you need to beat yourself up too much over it. Likely most of us would’ve gone pretty much the same route based on the prior history, especially when so much welding work had been done on the machine. What really messed things up was he fact that the monitor would work every once in a while. That smacks straight away of supply issues rather than the new monitor you installed.

Vetech63

I don’t think that you need to beat yourself up too much over it. Likely most of us would’ve gone pretty much the same route based on the prior history, especially when so much welding work had been done on the machine. What really messed things up was he fact that the monitor would work every once in a while. That smacks straight away of supply issues rather than the new monitor you installed.

Yep, that's it Sir!

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Right when you’re in the middle of trying to figure out why the new monitor didn’t work is when a guy like hnc walks up and says “I could have told you it wasn’t the monitor”