• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 3208 rear main seal replacement

Labparamour

Howdy All,

I have a Ford L7000 with a CAT 3208. Leaks oil out the rear of the engine something fierce (I know, kinda like saying I have an old Detroit Diesel that leaks oil!).
Anyway, I've heard of changing out seals I'm gassers by pulling main bearing caps and letting rear of crank lower a bit so you can snake the new seal up/over. Can this be done with a 3208 in-frame?
Probably just gonna keep dumping oil in for the time being. At least the frame won't rust...

Thanks,
Darryl

excavator

The 3208 has a one peice rear seal and it requires a special driver to replace it. Pretty simple and straight forward if you have access to this tool, remove the old one and press in the new.

Labparamour

Thanks Excavator.

I was thinking about a tranny swap so, if I pull that, I guess I can change out the seal then.
Thanks again for the info.

Darryl