• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 320 b excavator

rankothge

cat 320 b excavator heat up within 4 hours. i think engine is OK. hydraulics cooler is OK. filters & oil condition is good.i have met several cat 320b, 312b excavator this issue. anyone know any hydraulics defective that machine have? thanks

Per Eriksson

It's the hydraulics that gets hot?
Reseal swivel, check main relief pressures and all line reliefs too.

George catman

Evening,

We have a cat 320b (long carriage) with the same problem,it has 10,400hrs, we have replaced radiator core, water pump, thermostat, tighten belts, checked external condition of hyd cooler and is in top shape, replaced check valve cartridge in hyd oil cooler line to ensure it was not relieving to tank with out cooling, would worn hyd pump cause this with excessive leakage? Or would rotary valve cause oil to get so hot? The operators have complained in recent times about it not walking as well as it could? At a stand still on where to head next. Any input would be great from some cat experts

Cheers

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Evening,

We have a cat 320b (long carriage) with the same problem,it has 10,400hrs, Or would rotary valve cause oil to get so hot? The operators have complained in recent times about it not walking as well as it could?
Cheers
You've answered your own question. Not walking "as well as it should" but with no hydraulic complaints other than that for my money points directly to the swivel needing resealing.

Cmark

Check all the foam rubber seals 'twixt the radiator pack and the frame/bonnet. They stop the fan recirculating the hot air through the radiator.

I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of chinese excrement that they're missing.

Per Eriksson

Have to agree with Nige, do the swivel, it's the prime suspect when it comes to weak tracking and overheating hydraulics.

Cheap and easy to do also compared to messing with pumps and valves.

digsalot

Swivel?

Have to agree with Nige, do the swivel, it's the prime suspect when it comes to weak tracking and overheating hydraulics.

Cheap and easy to do also compared to messing with pumps and valves.

Can anyone comment on the process of resealing a swivel?

Thanks!

Steve 650

swivel, check all lines relief, check and adjust the main relief, check for the proper belt routine to ensure its correct. bad belt routine makes the fan revolution at lower speed without the common slippage sound, its easy to put the belt in the wrong way and think its ok. already saw this!

ih100

If you track back from the hyd oil cooler, one hose goes into a block containing a diverter valve, if I remember right. Might pay to have a look at this. Are the strainers in the tank clear?

Nige

Can anyone comment on the process of resealing a swivel?

Thanks!
Are you asking about the swivel on a Cat machine or is it a "generic" question..? If it's a Cat machine then PM me the Serial Number plus your e-mail address and I'll happily fire off a copy of the relevant procedure. Anything other than Cat then I suggest you start a specfic thread for the machine in question.

rankothge

no swivel is ok. i find its issue, heated air recirculate through the cooler thanks all to reply me good luck

Nige

no swivel is ok. i find its issue, heated air recirculate through the cooler thanks all to reply me good luck
Check all the foam rubber seals 'twixt the radiator pack and the frame/bonnet. They stop the fan recirculating the hot air through the radiator.

I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of chinese excrement that they're missing.
Score another one for the old codgers ............:thumbsup :thumbsup