• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 318B Swing Motor Leak ( ser-3LR00468)

Metalman 55

We were working away yesterday with the excavator when all of a sudden a gusher of oil started coming out of this what I percieve to be a vent for the swing transmission. The one pic where the finger is pointing too is where the oil is coming out. I am thinking it must mean seals on the swing motor failed & it is dumping oil into the swing transmission below & flooding out the vent? Way too hot late yesterday afternoon to touch is so heading back to machine this morning to investigate............... Anyone had this happen.

Attachments

• 20180529_175617.jpg
    20180529_175617.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180529_175629.jpg
    20180529_175629.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 40

heymccall

Yup. Reseal swing motor. Remember, swing brake is in motor, so, ensure upper house cannot rotate before unbolting motor from gear box. Gearbox can be left on machine. Just drain and refill the gearbox.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Its easy. $100 for the seal and your on your way.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I was thinkming that too. A seal that lets go over time due to hardening or whatever would not cause the symptoms you described in your OP. I wouldn't be surprised if there are bigger problems deeper inside the swing motor that took the seal out.

heymccall

Back when I was still green, I had a 322b @ 12k hour do the same. Slipper shoes in swing motor were chewed up, did reman, short time, same failure. Reman again, short time, same failure.

End of story, no matter what, CHANGE the case drain filter.

As it was 'splained to me, when the case drain circuit pressure rises, the motor's piston shoes lift off the plate, and/ or chatter, resulting in piston shoes failure.

Metalman 55

Case drain filter is totally clean..............stay tuned.

Attachments

• 20180531_125353.jpg
    20180531_125353.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

Metalman 55

The tall hyd filter beside the tank looks pristine, however we did not cut it apart...........plan to change it out next time we are at the machine, as well as draining the tank oil, checking the tank sceeen, cleaning the bottom of the tank thorourly, checking for any fragments in the bottom etc. The hyd place did get back to me saying some of the parts were scored inside & the pdf file is the result. Hope that attachment can be opened ok? I plan to continue diolog with them in the morning as I was not in when they emailed me the picuture & could not look at it & talk at the same time on my phone. I do not understand the internal workings of the pumps & motors, so perhaps this explains a bit?

Attachments

• DOC002 (1).pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180531_145235.jpg
    20180531_145235.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Metalman 55

BTW, the hyd shop whom we have dealt with for years can have the parts in 3 days & rebuild for us & I said go ahead. The nearest new motor from Cat is Shanghi & 10 days away, so decided in favor of rebuilding it.

heymccall

Drain and refill is only if you don't know what oil or how long it has been in there. If you really suspect particle contamination, a different (read more efficient) filter cartridge can be had from Caterpillar to use on a shorter interval, to go cleaner on the oil.
Everything I see says repair swing motor and monitor (oil sample) unit in intervals, including a baseline from the current oil.
But it would also be prudent to replace the drain hoses from swing to filter and filter to tank, especially if they're thermoplastic hoses, like mine had.

Metalman 55

Oil in tank is not that old & is the correct oil. We changed the main pump about 2 years ago & changed oil then. Tank is already 1/2 empty from the event, so will drain, discard oil, then inspect/clean the bottom of the tank. Will look into the hoses that you mention too. Thanks

Bluox

Oil in tank is not that old & is the correct oil. We changed the main pump about 2 years ago & changed oil then. Tank is already 1/2 empty from the event, so will drain, discard oil, then inspect/clean the bottom of the tank. Will look into the hoses that you mention too. Thanks
You're doing a good job but may I suggest you remove the grease hole cover for the swing gear and check for hyd. oil in the tub. If there is you might pull the swing gear box and replace the pinion seal.
Good luck
Bob

Metalman 55

Good idea.....I guess if the hyd motor oil flooded the gearbox with that kind of pressure it could blow out the pinion seal too. Will check it for sure........thanks for the idea.

Metalman 55

You're doing a good job but may I suggest you remove the grease hole cover for the swing gear and check for hyd. oil in the tub. If there is you might pull the swing gear box and replace the pinion seal.
Good luck
Bob

We took the cover off of the tub below the swing transmission & no oil from the swing transmission got in there so that is good news!

Attachments

• Resized_20180604_122204.jpg
    Resized_20180604_122204.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 27

Metalman 55

Swing motor repaired, installed, all hyd filters except the pilot filter changed, tank cleaned & new oil installed. Ran it for about an hr today & so far so good...............