• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 318B oversized pistons

illy

Occupation
Service technician
Hello,
are there any oversized pistons for 3046 engine on CAT 318B S/N: ADC00333?
In SIS I only found standard pistons and repair sleeve.

I did find "+0,25 p/n 107-8255" and "+0,50 p/n 107-8256" in General Service Information for 3046 engines,
but how can I check that they fit my engine?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hello,
are there any oversized pistons for 3046 engine on CAT 318B S/N: ADC00333?
In SIS I only found standard pistons and repair sleeve.

I did find "+0,25 p/n 107-8255" and "+0,50 p/n 107-8256" in General Service Information for 3046 engines,
but how can I check that they fit my engine?

Only thing I found was this "General Service Information" article "SELD0080" if you have SIS you should be able to do a "media search" and see it if not let me know.

illy

Occupation
Service technician
Thanks,
but can somebody find oversized pistons part numbers via machine serial number?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Oversized pistons for this model were discontinued when Cat introduced the repair sleeve option to bring a damaged bore back to original size. Therefore SIS now contains little or no reference to oversize pistons because it should have all been removed when the sleeve repair option was introduced.

Your only hope would be something like a paper Parts Manual published prior to the date the repair sleeve option was introduced. However even if you were to find one you may well discover that the Part Numbers for oversize pistons that are included in it are actually no longer available from Cat.

I would say that your best option to obtain oversize pistons might well be an independent engine rebuilder who carries something like IPD engine parts.

kshansen

Occupation
Or if one feels particularly adventurous there seems to be information on the Internet that says this engine is actually a Mitsubishi S6S. I do see some places where oversized pistons are listed for those. Not sure if the Cat version of the engine would take the same pistons. Could be turbo and non-turbo versions or other variations to be worried about.

Doing some digging on SIS, unless I missed something, it looks like the only way to even get a piston from Cat is in a Reman cylinder pack part number 10R7717. Seems strange as besides the price for the cylinder pack is $165 they have a core charge of $145. Not sure what they have for core acceptance criteria if your engine is a "Parent Bore" design. I just have to wonder as 98% of the reason you would be looking to replace the piston is due to wear on the piston and or cylinder so what are they looking to "rebuild"?

Last edited:

illy

Occupation
Service technician
Ken, surely the cylinder pack will have a connecting rod in it. I would have thought that's what they'll be looking to get back.

Maybe TMI gives a breakdown of exactly what's in the 10R7717..?

How do I find a breakdown of 10R7717 in CAT SIS?

kshansen

Occupation
How do I find a breakdown of 10R7717 in CAT SIS?

Here is what it shows in TMI:

Consist..jpg

Try going to this site:

https://tmiwebclassic.cat.com/tmi/servlet/TMIHomeServlet#

I'm thinking if you have SIS access it should work with the same log on and password. I know it does for me, but seems it took a couple tries before it worked!

Look for a Box that says TMI WEB that should give a drop down box with "Compare Consists" at the bottom. Click on that and enter a part number like the 10R7717 in it and see what it shows you. Losts more things you can do there but try that for starters. I just learned about this from Nige a couple weeks ago!

illy

Occupation
Service technician
Here is what it shows in TMI:

View attachment 159388

Try going to this site:

https://tmiwebclassic.cat.com/tmi/servlet/TMIHomeServlet#

I'm thinking if you have SIS access it should work with the same log on and password. I know it does for me, but seems it took a couple tries before it worked!

Look for a Box that says TMI WEB that should give a drop down box with "Compare Consists" at the bottom. Click on that and enter a part number like the 10R7717 in it and see what it shows you. Losts more things you can do there but try that for starters. I just learned about this from Nige a couple weeks ago!

Aaah, OK. I don't have SIS on-line. DVD only.

Thank you for the breakdown and help!

kshansen

Occupation
Ken, surely the cylinder pack will have a connecting rod in it. I would have thought that's what they'll be looking to get back.

Maybe TMI gives a breakdown of exactly what's in the 10R7717..?

Duh! Forgot about the rod being in the cylinder kit.