• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 315C hydraulic pump adjustment

Occupation
Welder , mechanic
I have a 315C s/n CJC01713 8123hrs. I need to know the procedure to set up the track speed equally, one side is slightly out running the other every 50 yards you have to readjust the direction. I have 50 years background experience and every flowmeter, test gauges made. I familiar with other makes where you adjust the pump output to set your track speed. However this particular Cat pump is new to me. And I know better to go to just turning things. Most of the machines I've done this before where track speed is set by lifting one side up and making your adjustments to match the other side.
Any and all help is appreciated and always gentleman.

Occupation
Welder , mechanic
I guess my 50+ year experience slipped by.
Yes resealed the rotary manifold last year, drive motors blocked and pressure tested for leakage, case drains tested, both are equal. New undercarriage and both tracks adjusted evenly. This did not come on suddenly, its been coming on gradually for a couple years but now tracking it long distance (mile or so) its worrisome.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I guess my 50+ year experience slipped by.
No it didn't. Simply that you never mentioned in your OP the fact you had resealed the swivel. In the absence of any information to the contrary it was the obvious first question.

EDIT: For CJC01713 all the information you need is contained in Caterpillar Publication RENR5520. There are quite a few listed on various internet marketplaces.

Last edited:

KOBE STEEL

Check the pumps standby pressures are equal at min and max engine rpm. Test the pumps negative flow control signal pressures when operating the tracks off the ground. If that looks fine then you could try swapping the pump regulators and see if the problem shifts to the other track. pumps max and min flows are adjustable but Unfortunaly the negative flow control is adjusted with shims. Reg have a tendency to wear in the housings around the spool and the tilting pin/block can sometimes break free and undo from the thread of the servo and restrict the servo spools movement.
Best of luck, hope you get it sorted