• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 315b engine

Mbar

I’ve got a customer with a 315b (3aw00870). They have ran it hot a scared up the cylinder walls , I have not problem pulling the engine and rebuilding it. The problem I’m running into is the machine having 12000 hours and he is wanting to go cheap as possible. This being a Mitsubishi Engine, are there any other parts sources other than cat. I quoted it thought cat and he was excactly thrilled. Thanks for the help guys

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A phrase springs to mind - "You can do it right, OR you can do it cheap - it can't be both"
With 12k hours it really needs going over top to bottom, and if he jibs at the parts cost politely point out to him that it was his operator(s) who f**ked it up in the 1st place, all you're doing is putting right their mistake.

trekkar

With 12k hours is top to bottom just on the motor or are you talking about the whole machine? Whats the cost of the parts and rebuild? I'm just wondering if I go down this road of buying an older excavator.

Mbar

I agree with you Nige, I’m not one to cheap out on a build and will turn down a job befor it’s cobbled together. I agree that machine could use a once over but don’t know if it’s hardly worth it. As for the parts quote trekker, Parts where 3400 i believe without looking at the quote

trekkar

Thanks for the info Mbar and Nige, with the cost to buy new or near new equipment it looks like even taken the gamble on old and rebuilding everything may be a better option for me. I guess if it's for a business than maybe not. Good luck with the rebuild hopefully there willing to do it right.

Dave Neubert

Howard Enterprises has every thing you need they are wholesale so you need to set up a account. If need I could get them for you where in NC are you

Dave Neubert

After market but I have been using them for 10 years good quality Indiana they will ship what you need piston about 80.00 Is it a 3054 or 3046