• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 314E 2014 Problems turning left and right all other functions working properly

Alan Caro

I have this CAT 314 that will not turn left or right, I’m not sure if it’s electrical or mechanical, you can sometimes get it to work after playing with it for a long time, other times you can turn it off and on and it seems to start working again, until them it randomly gets stuck, I can hear the hydraulic trying to push it but it seems stuck, any ideas on where to start?

https://youtube.com/shorts/loGPLPzjVu0?feature=share

heymccall

Swing brake solenoid sticking? I can only assume that "it won't turn" is referring to swing and not travel.

Is it a ZJT serial number?

Once the tank pressure is relieved (take fill cap off), you can mark the solenoid and then swap it with the two speed travel solenoid, IIRC.

But...inspect the wiring to it first.

I'll have to dig into finding the location, exactly, but, I believe that you simply remove the front right side panel.

In the meantime, access the ECM via the monitor and check for fault codes.

Last edited:

heymccall

Just don't lose the little 8mm headed screws. Once the screws are removed, rotate slightly both ways while pulling outward. And be sure to take pics and mark where the plugs/ wiring go.Screenshot_20221214-144904_Chrome~2.jpg

Alan Caro

I was able to get some time to check the excavator, I found the solenoids in the picture, the cables seemed to be ok but did not test them, I went ahead and swapped them out (the track and the swing solenoid) and put everything back together and it started working properly, I have yet to test for long periods of time, but all the functions including the track are working

thanks!

should I still order a new solenoid? Or should I wait to see if the track has problems in the future?

heymccall

The component that can cause your symptoms is a pilot pressure switch for auto decel.

EVERY single time a function is operated, whether with the hand or foot controls, the swing brake is released. After 6 seconds of no input, the swing brake reapplies.

If any pilot pressure switch is "iffy", when using "auto decel", the engine won't rev back up when any function is operated. If auto decel is working correctly, the pressure switch(es) aren't suspect.

Alan Caro

I was using the excavator today and it simply stopped doing every function, won’t track swing, nothing.

Any ideas on what it can be?