• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 312BL Oil pressure problem

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
I posted under General but forgot about this one 7 not sure how to delete under general?

Had older CATs but first time with a Monitor? CAT 312 BL Serial 8JR..... 3064T motor --- Oil & Filter changed--level cold fine. Ordered Op & Maintenance manual awaiting Oil pressure guage to test the sensor but have a Cat 320 Op/Main & no help. Noone here has a Workshop Manual I know of. Starts OK --runs fine no knocks or problems for about an hour working then the buzzer sounds; oil pressure red box comes on. I was told sensors can go so once I do a test then will replace but wonder why so long running. Only run on 3-4 clicks farm work. Water temp/hydraulics fine. I know nothing about the monitor or how they read--help needed if anyone can assist esp on the right buttons -- but happy to learn as can't find any info? [Pic shows monitor when buzzer went off]. Could the problem be the sump engine level sensor also triggering the buzzer? Can't see any oil cooler on this model? but appreciate any comments. Also can low oil levels eg. oil level switch on sump trigger the buzzer? I will check further if not the problem? Thank you.

Attachments

• 312Monitor-Pic1.JPG
    312Monitor-Pic1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Sensor Oil pressure2.jpg
    Sensor Oil pressure2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Oil level switch.jpg
    Oil level switch.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 62

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe this will help, see attachment:

Attachments

• 312B L Using Service Mode.pdf
    325.9 KB · Views: 24

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
And just to be 100% correct in the picture below the indicator in red is the engine oil pressure and the one in blue is the engine 312 indicators.png oil level.

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Thanks very much. Where I live noone has a pressure guage so have ordered a set & will start from the top & go through each slowly. An outcall to get someone out is around $500 each way?? just to look? so need to do myself. Totally appreciate your info as exactly what I needed to study.

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
And just to be 100% correct in the picture below the indicator in red is the engine oil pressure and the one in blue is the engine View attachment 193878 oil level.
Again you have made my day---- thanks for the Monitor info. Now I can get my head around this machine. So hard as even the big companies I know here with these same excavators only have Op & Maintenance manuals--no workshop as they get the dealers in?????? when a problem arises. I was amazed how many couldn't help me. Thanks to this forum & for your kind help. If I could buy a Workshop Manual its like finding a alligator in a haystack??

heymccall

What engine oil viscosity are you using?
Does the oil level stay consistent between service intervals?
Does the engine exceed normal operating temperature?

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Oil pressure relief valve...but, I'd get a real gauge on there first.

But, aside from access, it's easy to inspect. View attachment 193903
Yes have ordered new guage set as my one didn't fit.

1/. Use 15W40 oil. Recommended by the dealers here. Oil was changed & filter. Not sure when last was changed as haven't had it that long??
2/. Yes oil stays at a constant level.
3/. Doesn't overheat & does not exceed normal op temp [ as per pic of the monitor I posted when the buzzer goes]. I am the only operator & only use 3-4 clicks when working it. I steam cleaned the motor & note the sensor looks original going by the wiring loom.
Like you say wait until I get the guage on it then will see if I have to go further. Strange as it only has the problem after working for an hour or so?? Thanks all the same appreciate the comments.